Lets See Your Fuel Filter/Electric Fuel Pump Mounting Locations - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 3rd-January-2010, 01:24 AM   #1
62civa

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 62 Coupe
Lets See Your Fuel Filter/Electric Fuel Pump Mounting Locations

I would like to see where you mounted your fuel filter and electric fuel pump at the rear of your Novas. I need to mount mine and I am looking for ideas as to where. I have added a sump to my stock fuel tank in my 62. I could put the filter behind the tank near the sump and the pump maybe off to the right side just outsdie the frame rail. This would leave the fuel line about 6" behind the tire should it ever blow......seems like a bad idea. I don't want to do anything that the tech inspectors at the tract would'nt like. I hope some of you have some photos of your setups. I will installing a Fram canister style filter and a Holley HP150 pump. Thanks guys.
Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 3rd-January-2010, 01:28 AM   #2
Ryan V64SS

Nova(s): 64 SS, 63 Sedan
Her's mine, I am running a mech pump with this, no fuel delievery issues. Car is in the 10's on motor

Old 3rd-January-2010, 03:34 AM   #3
JRouche

Ill have to dig up some pics. But on my 62 I have two fram HPG-1 filters and a HP pump for the EFI on the right side of my 20 gal fuel cell.

The pick-up is at the rear of the tank, off on the small sump thats standard with the aluminum cells you see from summit or jegs. Mine is a triangle engineering tank from the 90s, company prolly outta business now. But the 20 gallon tanks you see from summit or jegs looks the same.

So I routed the lines (two of them for EFI) from the tank to the right side, and at the sump level to make sure the pump was always "under" the fuel.

I enclosed the aluminum tank, filters and pump in 16ga steel to keep it all out of the road debris, rocks and pebbles from the tires and road..

I can access the pump and filters from the trunk by removing an access panel I made. So from looking into the trunk you cant see any of it, from the road you cant see any of it. But its all serviceable from the trunk side by removing the access panel. I have full access to the rear of the tank's sump and all of the plumbing for the filters and pump. JR

Solly, no current pics of the filters and pump, I can snap some if you are interested...

But here is what it looks like with the steel case. And there is plenty of room around the tank so the case is not right on it. There is actually a frame work within the steel case to support the tank. Kinda more to the works than you can see from the pics... And its a 20 gallon tank, not a small piece..

The steel enclosure... The pump and two large filters are on the right side, enclosed in that steel enclosure, what you see, along with the aluminum tank.

Trunk some years back. Still looks the same at this point. But its not completed yet. Some day, Im working on the air ride valve panel right now.. The access panel is on the right side of the tank, looks to be part of the floor but its removable.

Old 3rd-January-2010, 03:40 AM   #4
luepke75

Nova(s): 63SS,63LR,68
Garage
Heres mine.

Old 9th-June-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
asteeler4life

Nova(s): 1962 'VERT 1966 SS
Red face

I KNOW, I KNOW, I KNOW
BUMP FOR RESPONSES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
INLINE 6 GROUP
66 NOVA SS COUPE INC.
Old 9th-June-2011, 12:29 AM   #6
62civa

Nova(s): 62 Coupe
Big D
Are you asking how mine turned out? If so, here you go:
Old 9th-June-2011, 03:20 AM   #7
JRouche

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62civa View Post
Big D

Hmmm? Im curious if you have any concerns with the lines and filter exposed? I personally wouldnt like all the lines and filter exposed to the road if it is a street car.

Nice lines, great routing. Id just like it more if it had some type of shielding from the road hazards. JR
Old 9th-June-2011, 11:10 AM   #8
Pandora's Box

Nova(s): 67 Nova Wagon 408"/700R4
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62civa View Post
Big D
I'm not trying to play spoiler here but I see many problems with this.

First off there is a 10 micron filter between the sump and pump where an 80-100 micron filter should be. The 10 micron filter should be after the pump.

Another is the routing. Even though the pump is mounted correctly with the inlet of the pump below the outlet of the sump everything prior to the pump is going uphill. The line from the sump also appears to have a loop in it. This can/will cause an air pocket that will cause all kinds of problems from a starvation condition to air bubbles or foaming on route to the carb. The loop in this line will also cause a "drain back" situation. All of this will make the pump work twice as hard and cause premature pump failure.

I'm sure that your intentions were good and your not all that far from home. You only need an 80-100 micron filter, a couple of fittings and re-route 1 line and you'll be good to go.

Old 3rd-October-2015, 02:51 AM   #9
Mech_Arm1

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1963 Nova SS
I just recently got this car. I need to still put the tank back in there, and find a holley blue pump. But are you saying the filter should always go after the pump? . . . . . Should I rearrange this setup before I button it up?

Thanks for any help

Old 4th-October-2015, 09:39 AM   #10
epfatboy

Nova(s): 1964 Chevy Nova SS
Filter before the pump and after the pump if you are running electric.

The purpose of the filter before is to save the elec pump. The purpose after is to filter line debris.

I actually am not sure why the filter needs to be directly after the pump but I see lots of configurations that way. I also see people running a filter just prior to the carb or fuel solenoid.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 4th-October-2015, 08:16 PM   #11
MikefSKSpeed

Title: Supporting Vendors
Nova(s): 1971 383 Nova
Old camera phone pic, sorry for the quality!

This is an Aeromotive A1000 with a Pre Filter (100 Micron) and Post Filter (10 Micron)

Old 4th-October-2015, 10:16 PM   #12
laser-red-nova

I know 62civa asked for pics of electric fuel pump set ups.Any for stock tanks??
No sumps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement