Electric fuel pump on v8 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st-December-2008, 11:25 PM   #1
DesertDeuce
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): I hate Novas.
Electric fuel pump on v8

Im thinking about switching to an electric fuel pump this winter on my 283 '63 wagon. I see alot of fuel pumps like this style one;
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
I was wondering if one these with the bracket will bolt to the stock location of a mechanical fuel pump with a block off plate. Like this one;
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

My wagon has new fuel lines, and this seems like an easily accessible area for repairs. Also with this style pump I can pick up a replacement from just about any auto parts store anywhere and make it work.
Will the engines heat be a problem? I can weld up a bracket to the block off plate to make it work if I need to. Any suggestions?

I think my only other choice would be to mount it under the battery box, where the fuel line goes through the inner fender, but I would still need to block off the old mechanical pump and bend up some new hard lines, so this seems like the best route for me. Im trying to stay away from rubber hoses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st-December-2008, 11:27 PM   #2
Mike Goble

Nova(s): 67 wagon project
Why would you want to get rid of the mechanical pump? No wires, no noise, runs when the engine runs, etc...
Old 1st-December-2008, 11:32 PM   #3
dougy68nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 68 4 door
electric fuel pump will need to be mounted neer fuel tank as an electric pump pushes real good but dosent suck real good like a mech. fuel pump

sorry push and suck is how they get all the guys attention in trade school

Old 2nd-December-2008, 12:06 AM   #4
DesertDeuce
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goble View Post
Why would you want to get rid of the mechanical pump? No wires, no noise, runs when the engine runs, etc...
It just seemed like a good idea...
Seriously though, I was hoping for easier starts after leaving the car sit for long periods of time. Another kill switch would be cool too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougy68nova View Post
electric fuel pump will need to be mounted neer fuel tank as an electric pump pushes real good but dosent suck real good like a mech. fuel pump

sorry push and suck is how they get all the guys attention in trade school
From what i could gather, as long as it stays around level(or below) with the tank it should have no problems because of the siphon effect. If it was above, and "sucking" than it would well "suck". Which is not what they are intended to do.
Old 2nd-December-2008, 12:24 AM   #5
64PRONOVA

Nova(s): 64SS & 65SS
A waste IMO. Zero bang for the buck.

For one thing it won't make it perform any better and not as reliable as the mechanical pump.

No show, no go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2nd-December-2008, 12:33 AM   #6
DesertDeuce
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64PRONOVA View Post
A waste IMO. Zero bang for the buck.

For one thing it won't make it perform any better and not as reliable as the mechanical pump.

No show, no go.
I know a couple of people who made the switch and were overall happy, I guess thats why I was wanting to do it. The cost is not an issue because I can get the pump for virtually free. However that may not be the case forever.
I do know that you know your stuff though.
Old 2nd-December-2008, 02:08 AM   #7
JRouche

I replaced the mechanical pump for electric in three of my cars I drive now. One is an old motor home, the other is a Fiat spider and the third is my Nova.

All three have the pump back by the fuel tank. And I havent had any problems at all. If you are interested email me and I will give more specifics about wiring, including using relays, and block off plates. Oh, the Nova needs the electric, its fuel injected, but the others are carbed. JR
Old 2nd-December-2008, 03:50 AM   #8
DesertDeuce
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
I replaced the mechanical pump for electric in three of my cars I drive now. One is an old motor home, the other is a Fiat spider and the third is my Nova.

All three have the pump back by the fuel tank. And I havent had any problems at all. If you are interested email me and I will give more specifics about wiring, including using relays, and block off plates. Oh, the Nova needs the electric, its fuel injected, but the others are carbed. JR
Lesson of the day... don't knock it untill you've tried it!
I got some very sound advice from some smart people, i'm 90% sure i'm going to do it, its the execution that I want to be 100% on, with relays and fuses etc.
Old 2nd-December-2008, 04:03 AM   #9
danthegeek

Nova(s): Red 71
My only issue is, I drive my car way to much. If the pump fails, 10 minutes and $15 from the nearest auto parts store will get me a mechanical pump that will work well enough to get me home.

Another "Lesson of the Day", dont fix it if it aint broke..

"Freakin Hybrids man. They just dont do the trick anymore..."
Old 2nd-December-2008, 04:40 AM   #10
DesertDeuce
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by danthegeek View Post
My only issue is, I drive my car way to much. If the pump fails, 10 minutes and $15 from the nearest auto parts store will get me a mechanical pump that will work well enough to get me home.

Another "Lesson of the Day", don't fix it if it aint broke..
I have one of those really expensive mechanical ones. I didnt say it was a great pump, but it has a big price tag. I didn't pick it out, it came with the car.

With my mounting plans for the electric worse case scenario In about 10 minutes I could have a mechanical pump swapped in. It also helps that I have a car trailer.

At this point I want to try it just to make my own judgement, we'll see.
Old 2nd-December-2008, 11:24 AM   #11
veno

Nova(s): 72 385, t350, 3.73 4w-dsk
Garage
best bang for the buck in pumps..... Carter.....mechanical.... chaep. been doing it londer than any other brand on the market.. I have the carter street pump... it has been on the car for over 5 years..... and when I was in the 70's I used one on my 340 dart 4sp as a daily driver for 6 years...
Old 3rd-December-2008, 12:09 AM   #12
levisnteeshirt

Nova(s): shopping for the 6th one
electric pump

the electric pump is great for when your messing with the carb , taking a bowl off ,, what not . Turn the pump on and fill it back up. Great for when if you run out of gas too. I had a friend that lost a motor that filled up with gas when his mechanical pump leaked fuel inside the engine. So i've kinda stayed away from them after I saw that. For a street car , a person could carry one of the those " buzz box " generic electric fuel pumps to get ya home. I'd say Advance or Napa has them. I used a high performance elec fuel pump from Napa , that turned out to be a Carter elec pump that worked great after 5 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement