Mickey Thompson valve covers? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th-January-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
Dutch Nova Dude
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
Mickey Thompson valve covers?

I'm about to buy a set of M/T aluminum valve covers. I have red they where common in the early 70's but don't know much about them. Would they be misplaced on my 69 Nova sb?
Problem is I hardly can find pictures of engines with a set of these M/T's on the internet, and I would like to see how they look installed before I buy them.
Any of you have them? Or some pics?
Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	MT valve covers.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	273241
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10th-January-2017, 01:09 PM   #2
sbc1320

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1972 Nova
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=571946

Scroll down, they look way better in black with the tops sanded down.

You could paint them all then sand the tops or you could lightly grease the tops and paint them then wipe off the tops. This is of course if you wanted them black like most have them.
71 Nova 350
70 Nova 350
Old 10th-January-2017, 01:14 PM   #3
70chevybb

Nova(s): 72 ss
V.c.

Heavy cast aluminum. They do not warp and always seal good. I have used them on both big and small blocks and always look good.

Old 10th-January-2017, 01:40 PM   #4
MTNNOVA

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1967 2Dr HT
Have had a set on the 350 in my 1982 k-10 for a little over 30 years. They could use a good polish job, but still work well. Cured my valve cover leaks that were common with the steelies.
Old 10th-January-2017, 02:19 PM   #5
Dutch Nova Dude
(OP)

Cool thanks.
Not shure if I like them better in black or aluminum. But that's not an issue,I can paint them.
Good news they seal well.
Hope to keep my pcv. Do they have knock outs or do I need the drill?
Old 10th-January-2017, 03:36 PM   #6
Roddychop

That third hole without the notches is where the pcv grommet will go. You can go with breathers in the other holes providing the grommet will seal the notches. If 70's is what you are going for nothing screams that more to me than a set of M/T's .
Make sure they have baffles or the pcv will suck oil. Not sure if the pic you posted is the actual pair you are buying ?

You can also get grommets that act as baffles if the valve covers don't have them.

Last edited by Roddychop; 10th-January-2017 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10th-January-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
msaul

Nova(s): 1969, Generation VI 489,
Thumbs up Mickey Thompson

Mickey Thompson was a great man. He left too soon.
Old 10th-January-2017, 11:59 PM   #8
Dutch Nova Dude
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddychop View Post
That third hole without the notches is where the pcv grommet will go. You can go with breathers in the other holes providing the grommet will seal the notches. If 70's is what you are going for nothing screams that more to me than a set of M/T's .
Make sure they have baffles or the pcv will suck oil. Not sure if the pic you posted is the actual pair you are buying ?

You can also get grommets that act as baffles if the valve covers don't have them.
No, these are the actual ones
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_85.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	273345

It would be easier and have a cleaner look to use breathers but the reason I would like to keep my pcv is that I've been told it's not that good for your engine not to have it.
I kinda like the Chevrolet logo on the valve covers tho,not sure if I wan't to drill through them.
Yes, I will use baffles to prevent oil sucking out,thanks!
Old 11th-January-2017, 10:32 AM   #9
Roddychop

Definitely keep the pcv. One option is to put the valve cover with the pcv hole on the passenger side. Put the other valve cover on the drivers side with a breather in the oil fill hole that way you will get cross ventilation through the valve covers. The tricky part will be to get a breather grommet with baffle to seal around the hole with the notches. I think in the past I used silicone to seal up any gap.

Last edited by Roddychop; 11th-January-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11th-January-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
pxtx

No holes in the valve cover and no PCV. Vents via the road draft port and the oil fill tube.

1965 Malibu SS | 1987 4000CS 20vt | 2000 323ci Cabrio | 2000 Yukon | 2001 Crew Cab 8.1/Allison
Old 11th-January-2017, 02:33 PM   #11
Jackel

Nova(s): 70 Nova SS I bought new.
One of the very first things I did to my new Nova SS (1970) was add a set of those valve covers. Still on my 350 when I started the restoration some 40 years later. I pulled the 350 and put it on a stand then added back in a 383. Jack

Last edited by Jackel; 11th-January-2017 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11th-January-2017, 02:47 PM   #12
Dutch Nova Dude
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddychop View Post
Definitely keep the pcv. One option is to put the valve cover with the pcv hole on the passenger side. Put the other valve cover on the drivers side with a breather in the oil fill hole that way you will get cross ventilation through the valve covers. The tricky part will be to get a breather grommet with baffle to seal around the hole with the notches. I think in the past I used silicone to seal up any gap.
Originally my passenger valve cover hose is going to the air cleaner. The driver side hose is going to my Holley carb. I've noticed that only one of the M/T valve covers have chevrolet logo, the one with the oil fill hole doesn't have the logo. I think I'm going to drill into that one to connect the carb hose to. First have to be sure about the measurements of the grommet but it's possible to keep everything the same that way. Meanwhile I've purchased the covers so we shall see
Thanks for thinking with me!

By looking at the pic of the valve covers what would you people do, polish them or put them on like they are?
Old 11th-January-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
Dutch Nova Dude
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxtx View Post
No holes in the valve cover and no PCV. Vents via the road draft port and the oil fill tube.

Great looking engine bay!
Old 11th-January-2017, 03:05 PM   #14
Roddychop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Nova Dude View Post
Originally my passenger valve cover hose is going to the air cleaner.

By looking at the pic of the valve covers what would you people do, polish them or put them on like they are?
Yes no reason not to keep it the way it is, I wasn't sure if you had an air cleaner connecting to the valve cover.

If it were mine , I would leave them unpainted, clean them up good with brake clean and hand polish the sides and top of the fins with something like mothers aluminum wheel polish.
Old 12th-January-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
graymond

Nova(s): 1970 Acadian SS350
Garage
Had them on my car, a baffled PCV grommet interfered with my roller rockers. Other than that, they sealed pretty well.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement