Rewiring my '72 with a Painless Harness - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st-January-2017, 12:38 AM   #1
CVMA Dredd

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1972 350ci 200-4r
Rewiring my '72 with a Painless Harness

My first of many roadblocks; any idea how I can remove the ignition switch connector? It's wedged between the top of the steering column and the bottom of the mounting bracket.

I've got the entire harness disconnected except for this one connector.

I've got the lower supporting bracket removed but can't figure out how to lower the column to get enough separation to unplug this particular connector.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8004.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	271202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGFullSizeRender-1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	271210  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st-January-2017, 03:38 AM   #2
hackshacknova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 1972 Nova 427 sbc on E85
Follow the column down to the firewall, there is a plate with 3 bolts attaching it to the firewall. remove these bolts which should allow the column to drop down a couple of inches.

1972 Nova 427 SBC
1.46 60' 10.97@ 120MPH
Old 5th-January-2017, 02:27 AM   #3
CVMA Dredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackshacknova View Post
Follow the column down to the firewall, there is a plate with 3 bolts attaching it to the firewall. remove these bolts which should allow the column to drop down a couple of inches.
Perfect, thanks. Mine had a plastic shroud around the base that made those bolts inaccessible. I ended up breaking it off (it was quite fragile) and was easily able to undo everything. There were five bolts on the firewall and another two keeping a couple brackets around the column.

I've got the entire old harness out and have drawn out my own schematics of that harness to try and compare it with my new harness. I have the 21 circuit Painless harness (10101) which I've found is very streamlined, which is not necessarily a good thing. It doesn't have a bulkhead connector so I'm trying to teach myself where everything goes because the Painless instructions are less than ideal. A few pictures or drawings wouldn't kill them. And I'm coming from a position of just about zero experience with automotive wiring.

So, next question is where does this maxi relay go? I know it connects on the 10 ga. red wire between the fuse box and the starter solenoid, but should I just find an open spot on the firewall to mount it to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	painless maxi fuse.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	271818  
Old 10th-January-2017, 11:47 PM   #4
CVMA Dredd

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?
Old 15th-January-2017, 02:01 AM   #5
qw9012

Nova(s): 1963, 1972
You can mount it wherever room permits. But the closer you can get it to the solenoid the better, that way you only have a small length of wire that is not fuse protected and the long length of wire to the fuse panel is protected. A lot of cars in the 80's and 90's used fusible links, which was a special short length of wire that would melt in half instead of a replaceable fuse. And the fusible links were usaually attached right to the solenoid.
Old 15th-January-2017, 11:51 AM   #6
Philip

Title: Moderator
I know this is a little late but American Auto Wire kits have excellent instructions and bulkhead connector that fits in the stock location.

I did one Painless, it was the computer wiring for an L29 fuel injected big block, not too bad had decent instructions. It was the only company that sold one for that engine. I have installed four AAW complete kits. A 57 Chevy, a 67 Nova, a 64 Barracuda (using a 1st gen Nova kit) and my Chevelle wagon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SOLD 01/15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement