Viking Sprint Rate? - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Steering, Suspension, and Chassis

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 8th-January-2017, 07:13 PM   #1
ProjectX
(OP)

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1973 Nova 2 Door
Garage
Viking Sprint Rate?

I'm looking to order some Viking Coilovers and wondering what spring rate I should get. From reading different posts and looking at Vikings site I've narrowed it down to 350 or 450lb springs.

Front Spring Rate Options:
250lb- 11 tall springs for drag race only. Serious lightening required.
350lb- Small block cruise or drag race with lightening required.
450lb- Small block cruise, big block drag race.
550lb- Small block handling, all big blocks except drag.

I'm really not sure what the benefit of going with one or the other is. My battery is in the trunk, I've got a steel 2" cowl hood, ATK 383 with aluminum heads, mini starter and I believe that's it as far as lightened front end. Anyone with a 3rd gen and viking coilovers want to shed some light on one spring rate over the other and your experiences with your spring rate? I'd really appreciate any input.

My goal is to lower the front a couple of inches (give or take), be able to adjust it as necessary and improve handling. This will be mostly a 90% cruising car.

Thanks for any input or advice
Old 11th-January-2017, 06:50 AM   #2
charley7

Nova(s): 1966 2dr hardtop Ls 6.0L
I have a '66 nova I changed mine from 450# front and 175# rears. To 600# front and 300# my car weighs 3000#.

It road ok but hit hard in the rear on bumps.

I love how it rides now.

I have a 6.0l ls 4l60e

Plus it rides better now with my whole family in it as well. Hope this helps

Charley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11th-January-2017, 12:26 PM   #3
ProjectX
(OP)

Nova(s): 1973 Nova 2 Door
Garage
Thanks for the response Charley. I emailed Viking and told them I'd like to lower the front 3 inches and they recommended 350lb spring with a shorter shock which was for a Camaro. I'm trying to decide is I should just go that route or if I should use the regular shock and just go with dropped spindles incase later on I want to raise it back up. I'd love to hear some opinions on this or what others coilover cars are running.
Old 11th-January-2017, 01:01 PM   #4
bugguy357

Nova(s): 65 Nova SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by charley7 View Post
I have a '66 nova I changed mine from 450# front and 175# rears. To 600# front and 300# my car weighs 3000#.

It road ok but hit hard in the rear on bumps.

I love how it rides now.

I have a 6.0l ls 4l60e

Plus it rides better now with my whole family in it as well. Hope this helps

Charley
Charley I also have a 6.0 in my 65 with a LSA blower were the 600# springs to much? I thought the coil overs get shipped with a 350# spring? I'm asking cause the car feels a bit loose. One more thing are you running leafs on the back or 4 link?
Old 11th-January-2017, 07:16 PM   #5
charley7

Nova(s): 1966 2dr hardtop Ls 6.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugguy357 View Post
Charley I also have a 6.0 in my 65 with a LSA blower were the 600# springs to much? I thought the coil overs get shipped with a 350# spring? I'm asking cause the car feels a bit loose. One more thing are you running leafs on the back or 4 link?
I have the CBR tri 4 link.

Sorry I need to correct that. My fronts are 550# but mine came with 450# not sure what the standard.

I like the spring rates now. I used my car everyday in the summer and it never bothered me.

Charley.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement