Chevy Nova Forum banner

Buffing after wetsanding?

3K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  DriveWFO 
#1 ·
I wet sanded my hood with 1500 grit. What steps do I have to do now in order to bring it to a shine? Buffing compound then polishing compound? I'm clueless about this kinda stuff!

#2 ·
I would wet sand with 2500 then 3000 it make buffing easier i think than use (All 3m products)
1- rough cut
2-rubbing compound
3- swirl mark remover
4-final glaze

and make sure you use a different pad for every compound and make sure your speed on the buffer is on a slower speed.

#3 ·
Get a electric buffer I prefer a makita var speed buffer with a velcro pad,turn it on the #3 speed also get 3m perfect it rubbing compound.Your buffing pad should be a white waffle pad put the compound on the hood and start buffing,just pay attention not to buff in one spot to long. This should go ver the hood 2-3 times with the compound,make sure you have a lot of light when your buffing out your hood because if it looks good under the lights in the garage it will look excelent out side.Next step is to get the 3m perfect it foam pad glaze and a glazzing pad witch should be black take a little of the galze and put it on the hood and buff it. Go over that process 2 times after that is done take a soft cloth and wipe off the hood and take some more of the foam pad glaze and apply by hand and wait a few minutes and wipe it off and you should be done.Plan about an hour to an hour and a half to do this buffing. I hope this helps. Ray

#8 ·
When you are done sanding it should have a very uniform flat dull look with no shiny spots.

This hood was sanded with 1200, then buffed with a wool pad and 3M rubbing compund until the scratches were gone and the shine came up. It was then buffed with a foam finishing pad (shown here) and 3M polishing compound to get the final shine. You cant see any sanding scratches even under flourescent light.

Going higher than 1500, is a waste of time IMO if you use a wool pad for initial buffing.

#20 ·
I used to use my Makita circular buffer but never could master not getting swirl marks, especially on black (one's you could see in bright sunlight). Be careful as others have said or you can easily blow through the clearcoat, then it's too late. Wool is the most agressive pad...you might want to consider foam. Also be aware there are quite a few versions of foam pads...orange is usually the most agressive with black being the least. There are also white and yellow. I use the microfiber bonnets for removing the final glaze instead of doing it by hand. If you take a few minutes to read the info on this site, you will understand how and when to use all the various pads. http://www.properautocare.com/porcabpolac.html

I bought one of the Porter Cable orbital buffers and it is one of the best things I have ever gotten for car care. You absolutely cannot put a swirl mark in the paint with one of them. I've got two cars with show quality paint jobs and it's a piece of cake to get a perfect finish with the buffer and all the correct pads. I order all my pads & materials from that web site. I just did my entire 24' enclosed car trailer with the buffer and it looks like brand new again...a heck of a lot easier than by hand.

#21 ·
Watch the edges! Move the buffer in the way where the pad is spinning away from the edge when you are near one. If its spinning towards an edge and catches it, you will know!! It will dig right into the paint, especially if newer. Also watch , and do the same when you are near trim,antennas, and the wipers. I once caught an antenna,and instantly that became a metal whip that caught me off the side of my face.It will happen so fast you have no time to react.Not trying to scare you but pay attention to these things and you'll be OK. One thing I noticed in the picture above, is the cord is rubbing along the fender. When I buff, I throw it up over my shoulder. It wont rub againt the fender and leave all kinds of marks.Good luck!!

#22 ·
One thing I noticed in the picture above, is the cord is rubbing along the fender. When I buff, I throw it up over my shoulder. It wont rub againt the fender and leave all kinds of marks.Good luck!!
Guess he wasn't too worried about it seeing as he had not buffed the side of the fender yet!!! :)

#27 ·
I used 3M Perfect It rubbing compound and then followed that up with 3M polishing compound (can't remember the name of it). I used two 3M waffle foam pads. I picked up a variable speed buffer from Harbor Freight for $29.99 (was on sale).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.