Chevy Nova Forum banner

Wetsanding and buffing

7K views 58 replies 17 participants last post by  bigbadbp7 
#1 ·
I just had my nova painted and the painter told me to wait 30 days to wetsand and buff but I looked at the tech sheet from the paint/clear and it says to do it after 48 hrs what should I do?? It says more time will make it harder to cut could the painter be saying that because its cold outside?? the car feel dry to the touch and I took my nail to an area and couldnt dig into it. its basecoat clearcoat and was painted on thursday
it has quit a bit of orange peel should I start with 800 or 1000 grit? thxs

See less See more
#45 ·
Looks good, as being a detailer I want some up close sun shots to see how you really did. What was your compound and polishing methods? If there are any remaining scratches they should only be straight line scratches from sanding not swirls that where induced with the buffer.

#48 ·
Did the painter also do the body work, to include block sanding etc? If it's wavy as you say, that could be something that will never come out. If you took it to him and he just painted it, and the car wasn't properly primed and blocked, you'll get that. And it's especially noticeable with black and dark colors.

If you see scratches but can't feel them, they could still be in the clear coat, and not necessarily in the base coat. Not knowing how much clear you have to work with, hard to say how much further you should go. You could go too far and cut through to the paint. Do you know for sure that you didn't go through the clear in some of those spots and scratch the base coat? If you see paint color in your wetsanding, you've gone too far.

If it were me, at this point, I would probably take a break and come back to it later. For me personally, I have to continually remind myself to be patient and don't get in a hurry.

Mike

#49 ·
Yeah he did the body work, he said he primed sanded 3 times and filled all the dinks etc, he said he put 3 coats of clear on the car a total of 1 gallon I dont think I sanded to far but im far from an expert. I am very disappoined in the waviness but I guess I should have just gone white:rolleyes:....

#52 ·
Looks like hologram effect from not allowing your compound to break down far enough. You need to work on a small spot, keep the compound wet and work the area good so the compound breaks down. The grit in the compound gets smalller as you use it. Start with a little pressure on the pad and lighten the presure as you buff. Clean the panel and polish. Keep the polish wet and let it also do it's work. Move very slow and let the polish cut. A DA type polisher will also help reduce this effect on dark colors.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.