Chevy Nova Forum banner

Pinstriping Removed; Now what? Wetsanding?

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  dan@swift 
#1 ·
Couldn't stand the custom painted-on pinstriping on my 75 SS. Took a chance and used Easy Off oven cleaner very carefully and the pinstriping is coming off nicely without apparently damaging the 1984 applied Imron paint underneath.

As expected, there are "ghosts" where the pinstriping has lived for 20 years.

Since this is Imron paint, what can I do to remove the ghosts? A car guy I know suggested a wetsand, but I don't know. How about something milder, such as a good polishing compound?

I am open for suggestions!
Thanks

#2 ·
Look for either 3M compound (not extra cut, just regular) on a wool/foam blend pad on a buffer. Finish it up with 3M UltraFine on a polishing foam pad.
The pads I recommend are from a company called Lake Country. You can get them here: http://obsessivedetail.com/
Another good compound and polish is from a company called Optimum Car Care which the link I posted above sells as well. Use their regular compound with their Polish. They also sell a Poli-Seal which is a polish and paint sealant in one.
I hope this helps!

#3 ·
A careful wetsand may be in order to even out the paint. What happened is the pinstripping has protected the underlying paint for years, so it has none of the microscopic scratches that the rest of the paint has. A light wet sanding will even the playing field so to speak and make it all alike. Emron is pretty tough paint, so buffing this should not be a problem, just be careful around edges like on any other paint job.
Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.