Chevy Nova Forum banner

CPP column saver lower column bushing

4K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  1963wagonman 
#1 ·
I bought one and am trying to use it and the the brass bushing is .009" to small and my steering shaft will not fit in it. I have a 62 nova and am trying to use the stock column with a TCI clip.

My steering shaft measures .750" and the bushing is .741", anyone else experience this?

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/1955_1970_Fullsize_Cars/CP150BCS.htm

This is the one I ordered but it is way different than the one pictured, I don't think I got the wrong part just the wrong picture in the description.

#2 ·
how clean is the steering shaft? it's possible there's buildup of rust/corrosion on the shaft that can be cleaned off... you're not talking about that great of an amount....

i think i'd use some emery cloth and polish the shaft... you're talking .0045... not really a lot. :no:

#3 ·
all the rust and crud has been cleaned off, I have pounded on it and driven it on the steering shaft about 1/2" and it is so tight that it will not rotate at all. I hoped that it would loosen it up but it didn't help, had to drive it back off.

#6 ·
Update

I call CPP again to ask about shipping and also asked if they are sending one that will fit. He said that he pulled a few off the shelf and the whole batch had bushings that were undersized. It is nice to know that I wasn't going crazy or just a picky customer, lol. Just letting you all know that if anyone ordered one recently and the steering shaft doesn't fit call CPP and let them know, they will make it right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.