Chevy Nova Forum banner

'71 Nova "German Style"

131K views 558 replies 102 participants last post by  BLYOTH 
#1 ·
After getting a lot of response in my introduction, i decided to show some more pics of my Nova here.

As stated i got my car from a very honest guy in Ok. He had a craigslist ad i stumbled over and a few telephone calls later his Nova became mine. We are still in contact and he is very happy that his car is in good hands and gets the attention it deserves.

Here is my Nova still in the States

First inspection after shipping

A few parts were ordered when i bought the car and were shipped in the trunk. Saves on shipping cost.... :devil:
Brakes were in that package as well as Hotchkis 3" Springs front and rear so i started mockup soon.

See less See more
#75 · (Edited)
My Silverado 2500HD has a hydroboost brake and i like how it stops. :yes:
It was a must for me to have hydroboost in the Nova too. I decided to go with a new unit purchased off ebay from sterlingworth16. He is very helpful and the unit is equipped with the right bracket and rod end. Install was straight forward with a Corvette MC and Wilwood adjustable proportioning block. Because of the lenght of the assembled unit i added a strut to the downbars to prevent vibration damage. The as cast finish of the MC was smoothed a little too.

#79 ·
Worked around the car to the front. Now it's time to get the 69 Camaro valance in.

The valance is 2" narrower, so i welded two strips in to widen it.

Bumper bracket openings welded shut.

Bumper mockup. It was necessary to weld several segments together to get a proper fitment.

Front finished. I later added turn signals and an air duct for the oil cooler.

#81 ·
I'm a great fan of a simple grey. Nothing fancy, no shiny finish. Like the grey i painted my truck with.

But lately i've seen an AMG in Monza Grey Magno with matte clear....Killer! With all trim blacked out it will look brutal. But not sure.

#88 · (Edited)
Gaps

Thanks guys! I really appreciate your kind words!
Due to the stretching of the quarters and using '73 doors the gaps were not good. Especially the upper corners of the doors. Otherwise they were too wide almost on the complete lenght. I used welding rod to reduce the gaps. Welded in and grind to shape.

Right front pics.

Left front.

Right rear.

#90 ·
Yeah, i know bout that. It's tinned now so rust will have no chance. Seam sealer on the inside helps too. It was an old repair i fixed. A new quarter panel would been better, but to get new quarters here will kill me on the shipping.... :eek:

#94 ·
Thanks! Keeping motivation is hard sometimes. Occasionally i only sit beside my car and just look at it and motivation is coming back soon.

Props on your build!! Its going to be one bad mfer!!!:yes:
Thank you Sir!

People like you make me feel soo ashamed of the minor work i have done to mine. Yours is going to be BEAUTIFUL! :yes: :thumbsup: :cool pics:
No reason to worry! It's not how much you work on your car rather then how good you feel doing it!

#95 ·
The interieur of the car was pretty much shot. With '73 doors, cracked dash, worn out buckets i had no other chance than designing a complete new style. Front seats will be leather Recaro buckets, rears will be removed (some nice ideas turning in my head :turn:)
I had the dash repaired using truck bedliner, worked out well enough to cover. Sorry, no pics. As i worked with carbon before i decided to cover some of the parts with it. I cut the panel behind the window vents to make a step, getting the dash panel flush with the metal and laminated a small strip of fiberglass on the dash.

That was ground flat after hardening and the complete panel got a layer carbon.

The A and B-pillar covers got fresh black paint after removing the surface rust and were covered with carbon too.

Most work was the center console. I made a mold out of cardboard and styrofoam. First layers were from fiberglass again painted black and a layer carbon. I did the cutouts for brake and shifter after finishing with coats of resin to prevent cracks.

Everything got several coats of resin to fill the air pockets, sanded between coats and some coats of clear. It's not finished yet, the final layer will be together with the other interieur parts.

#105 ·
Blown away...

Just came across this build thanks the the SNS newsletter. I am a Nova newbie with my recently procured 69 Nova Yenko tribute. I love turning wrenches, but your fab work is mind-boggling for someone who has never bent a panel. Thanks for the pics and progress--your vision and creativity (love, love, love the carbon fiber) are seriously amazing.

I am headed to Germany in a few months (Stuttgart) and am wondering if I can get my car registered there. Any hurdles/tricks that I need to know about? (you can PM me--don't want to hijack the thread) It has a 454 engine ('78 block) but that is still past the 30-yr old rule you noted. She doesn't run great yet, but hoping to get that squared away in the next few months. SNS guys have been helpful in that regard.

Please let me know of any car clubs or events where muscle car guys show up at. Hoping to find a good garage where I can store tools and my rides.

Thanks again for an awesome build!!! Hope to see you in Germany.

#106 ·
Dude! This Nova is just SICK!! how it should have come from the factory! I absolutely love the valences and 69 Camaro bumpers... I really love the centered gas cap inbetween the rear taillights! I like the look better than an SS badge, and plus it won't be spilling fuel out all over the rear tag... Great work man! keep us updated!
I don't have my Nova yet but this is truly inspiring! Love the 383 motor too.. not too much, not overdone, and badass!! STROKIN BABY!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.