Chevy Nova Forum banner

'71 Nova "German Style"

131K views 558 replies 102 participants last post by  BLYOTH 
#1 ·
After getting a lot of response in my introduction, i decided to show some more pics of my Nova here.

As stated i got my car from a very honest guy in Ok. He had a craigslist ad i stumbled over and a few telephone calls later his Nova became mine. We are still in contact and he is very happy that his car is in good hands and gets the attention it deserves.

Here is my Nova still in the States

First inspection after shipping

A few parts were ordered when i bought the car and were shipped in the trunk. Saves on shipping cost.... :devil:
Brakes were in that package as well as Hotchkis 3" Springs front and rear so i started mockup soon.

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
Do it. May i become a trend-setter.... :turn:
If you like little things, do you like the relocated filler cap too?
I grabbed a yamaha filler cap of off ebay, made a bracket to weld it in. The gas tank was modified too at the filler tube. All i have to do now is to weld an aluminum 45° bend to the yamaha cap and connect the tubes with rubber hose.

#33 ·
As we are already crawling in the trunk, i have some pics of the battery mount.

First i welded in a massive negative bracket with good contact to the frame rails. I will be hidden behind the battery so no cables will be in sight.

Then the base for the battery hold down.

I fabbed the hold down from 1/8 aluminum sheet.

Ready for welding.

#38 ·
Stretching the quarters

After widening the front the rears were on my list too. The quarters were replaced sometime in the life of my Nova, but welding wasn't the best. I had to redo the welds. The panels weren't aligned properly too so i needed an idea to fix that. Finally i decided to cut the old weld out and replace with a strip of metal. I cut the old weld out, moved the panel out 1 1/4 and fixed that in the wheelhouse. The cut was bend in and the gap was closed with 2" wide sheetmetal.

Cut out old weld.

Bend out and fixed with an angle bar.

The welded in strip.

Before and after pics.

The outer wheelhouse was cut out and the inner extended flat to the quarter. Now there is room for a 315 tire if the springs are relocated. I didn't go that far. A 275 tire will be enough for me.

#39 ·
After widening the front the rears were on my list too. The quarters were replaced sometime in the life of my Nova, but welding wasn't the best. I had to redo the welds. The panels weren't aligned properly too so i needed an idea to fix that. Finally i decided to cut the old weld out and replace with a strip of metal. I cut the old weld out, moved the panel out 1 1/4 and fixed that in the wheelhouse. The cut was bend in and the gap was closed with 2" wide sheetmetal.

Cut out old weld.

Bend out and fixed with an angle bar.

The welded in strip.

Before and after pics.

The outer wheelhouse was cut out and the inner extended flat to the quarter. Now there is room for a 315 tire if the springs are relocated. I didn't go that far. A 275 tire will be enough for me.
Ok mine next, i need more outside room to fit 335/35/19s in the back. a 275 tire will fit with a rolled lip

#43 ·
Rear Spoiler work

With the Novas front looking massive the sloped trunk lid looks a little off. I welded a 10mm rod on to get a picture how it could look.
I changed the angle and the heigh some times and ended up with this.

Started with covering in sheet metal.

Welded the corners shut.

Some grinding with the flap disc and voila!

#49 ·
Here are some pics from the metal work on the rear.

Protected the rear panel with some anti rust paint.

Corners were made from inner pick up wheelhouses.

Quarters elongated.

Rear panel made and welded in.

View from the underside.

Recess for the license plate.

Rear with the new bumper on.

#64 · (Edited)
Looks like powdercoating is somewhat uninteresting.... :turn:

You may have noticed that i removed the kink in the rear quarters behind the wheel. This was continued along the rockers. These were extended 2" to cover the frame rails and give the car a nice fat belly with an even more lowered stance without lowering the car in reality.

I started with three ribs to get the desired shape.

Followed by covering with prebend sheets.

Bad thing is that the kink is also in the door. I welded the sheet over the door to get it sit right. Later i cut the door open and welded the gaps on the lower door panels and the rockers shut.

Did the same on the front fenders. On the pic you can see how much the rockers were extended.

Fenderwork in progress. The no longer needed parts of the old fender were cut out later and new mounting tabs were welded in.

Here's like it will sit when she's is back on her wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.