Chevy Nova Forum banner

'71 Nova "German Style"

131K views 558 replies 102 participants last post by  BLYOTH 
#1 ·
After getting a lot of response in my introduction, i decided to show some more pics of my Nova here.

As stated i got my car from a very honest guy in Ok. He had a craigslist ad i stumbled over and a few telephone calls later his Nova became mine. We are still in contact and he is very happy that his car is in good hands and gets the attention it deserves.

Here is my Nova still in the States

First inspection after shipping

A few parts were ordered when i bought the car and were shipped in the trunk. Saves on shipping cost.... :devil:
Brakes were in that package as well as Hotchkis 3" Springs front and rear so i started mockup soon.

See less See more
#348 · (Edited)
Today i dropped the interieur parts, hood, bumper valance and cowl at the paint shop. Back in the shop we pulled the motor, cleaned everything up and masked pan and heads.

Then shot 2 coats of grey.

Some time this afternoon was spend to mount the disc brakes on the rear end.

#349 ·
Got fresh powdercoated parts back today. Nothing better than unboxing parts!

The fanshroud looked so good i assembled the radiator immediately!

With that done i had the motivation to redo the side panels. The first try with foam backed vinyl wasn't looking well. I removed the foam and used new vinyl. It was quite expensive but has definately a nice leather feel.
Looks much better now.

#350 ·
The sail panels were redone too. The new vinyl looked so much better.

I found interieur lights from whatever it was. I cut the monting tab with the hole off, beat it in shape and covered the housing in black wrinkle paint.

For illumination i used small LED panels. Just glued them in from the back.
I'll make a pic on monday when the glue is cured and i can light them on.

#362 · (Edited)
This! :)

I liked that color much and that was my first choice before i stumbled over the AMG color. I wasn't happy with the results of Monza Grey Magno. We tried every kind of clear, flat, semi flat, semi gloss, but never got the looks AMG has. So i decided to stay with a non metallic paint. I've seen a 3rd Genner on SEMA with near the same shade of grey (Pun intended) and that was it...

#367 · (Edited)
Thanks Edy, originally i was looking for a 60s Mercedes Silvergrey but couldn't retrieve it. Then i saw the Audi RS Nardogrey and the Fiat 500 Abarth grey. Finally i went with the Skoda Steel grey.

I almost did that gray! I couldn't decide so I let the wife choose and she went with white. I like the gray.
Luckily you let your wife decide Jeremy! I wouldn't had painted the Nova the same color a SNS Buddy has on his pride! :no:

#377 ·
It was time for some interieur work. I don't like the inner door handles. They match a flat door panel, but for the molded '73 panels i wanted to go another route. I ordered aluminum handles for cheap out of ebay just to find out they were sitting too far in the panel, you could barely get the fingers between the panel and the handle.

I needed some kind of backing plate to mount them anyway so i came up with a plan.

A buddy had some aluminum stock laying around and a mill.

Now a bit grinding with a flap disc was necessary.

Fitting in, lots of space to grab the handle, smooth looking, all whats needed now is some black powdercoating.

#432 ·
It was time for some interieur work. I don't like the inner door handles. They match a flat door panel, but for the molded '73 panels i wanted to go another route. I ordered aluminum handles for cheap out of ebay just to find out they were sitting too far in the panel, you could barely get the fingers between the panel and the handle.

Hi Bouncer!

These door handles look so nice that I want to pretty much copy your idea. Do you happen to have a link to the ebay auction for the handle? Thank you in advance!

Don

#382 ·
Headliner is in. Took a while because winter finally arrived and the material was very inflexible. The sail panels fit well as did the rear panels.
You can see some kinks from storage are still visible, but i'm sure the headliner will settle some more and everything will be good.

Panels

A-Pillar to dash transition

Powdercoated parts back, they came out very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.