Chevy Nova Forum banner

Windshield Frame Rust

5K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  PowerMax 
#1 ·
So today I took out the windshield ... actually I spread a tarp inside and bashed it out since it already was cracked. Down in the lower corners, right and left, I found pockets of severe rust. Looks like when they welded in the dash they used a sort-of shirt-board stuff between that and the cowl, and it wicked the condensate inside the windshield into the joint. Anyway, it has rusted almost all the way through in each corner. Also, the stuff they sealed the seams with actually rusted more underneath than where it wasn't!!

I imagine everyone with a Gen III has found the same rust poskets. What did you do with them? I haven't the skill to cut out the sheet metal and reconstruct that complicated corner. I soaked it in Naval Jelly after cleaning it out as best I could, but I am obviously goind to have to reconstruct that part of the windshield frame. I can't think of anyhting else to do but build it up with bondo, but I am sure open to suggestions!!

Dave

#3 ·
I found some stuff called Bondo-Glas that has fiberglass threads in it. It is apparently for marine use and the guy says it is really strong and used to repair boats. Do you think that would work?:confused:

Dave

#4 ·
Greetings,

On mine there was rust not only in the 2 corners, but across the bottom of the windshield as well. So I just got a new upper dash panel and while my car was in the body shop I had them weld it in as well.

Jason

#7 ·
My wife and daughter have run off with the cameras and won't be back till next week or I would post a pic. The rust pockets aren't all the big, maybe as big as a playing card each. This is a typical CA car with pretty minor rust. I had to replace the front part of the driver side floorboard and the lower toeboard, but that has been about all that I have found. I just can't fabricate metal good enough to repair this patch. I'll look for the aluminum stuff this afternoon and see what it looks like. The Naval Jelly soaked in, turned everything nice and black.

I'll tell you what...I sure am glad some of you guys suggested taking the windshield out before painting and having a new one put in afterwards. I would never have found this stuff untill the guy was standing in my driveway waiting to put in the new one!!:eek:

Dave

#11 ·
Hi
If it were me I would use evercoat everglass short strand fiberglass reinforced body filler. The metal to metal is alright but I prefer the fiberglass. If you can get is blasted that would help alot. You can also get some stuff(not sure what its call) that you put on the rust that will "neutralize" the rust.

Steve

#12 ·
Here's what I was up against (in the windshield area) during my resto. I cut away all the cancer, patched in a couple pieces of steel and Duraglas-ed it all. The key is to make sure you have a real nice sealing surface for your windshield. I'd pull your back glass, too - you may have the same conditions or worse. I got lucky and my rear window frame was in surprisingly great condition.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.