Chevy Nova Forum banner

Cowl Drain / Kick Area Rust

6K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  TheBandit 
#1 ·
Please help. I pulled the fenders off my '70 to find this:

From what I've read, this is caused by a buidup of leaves, debris, etc collecting from drainage through the cowl. There should be someplace this normally drains to, but that place has probably clogged. Can anyone tell me where this normally is supposed to drain? The only thing I could find is a 3/8" diameter hole just in front of the bottom rear fender mounting bolt. It seems like that would be blocked by the fender.

I found this thread on repairing the area for a 1st gen: http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43544

Does anyone know of a good thread with pictures of repairing this on a 3rd gen? I have no problem MIG welding sheet metal, I just want to get some ideas on where to cut and how to prevent this in the future.

Thank you for any help!

See less See more
#2 ·
This is a area of problems for years even in the 80's with other makes and models (not limited to GM)

They best thing is to repair and make you own drain.
The small hole is the drain.

Also remove the inner kick panels to do a thorough clean out.

Nice to see another 70 with bolt on doors!!!!:)
Seems a few think they are rare or don't exist.:rolleyes:

Al

#4 ·
The hinges were bolt on in 68,69 and part of 70 I believe. After that they were welded. Al is right about fixing the drain, if the car is going to be driven and left outside where leaves, pine needles and other dirt can get in there it is best to open the drain at the bottom of the car as much as you can.

Tommy :)

#5 ·
Thank you for the responses. I knocked out the rusted areas on the driver's side last night and got about a gallon bucket's worth of leaves and debris that had built up in there. There is no way a leaf would fit through the drain hole, so it's no wonder they built up.

Has anyone ever used perforated metal or wire mesh up at the cowl panel (near the windshield wipers) to keep the bad stuff out of this area? I can't think of a drain hole design that would prevent leaves from building up, so why not stop them at the source?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.