Chevy Nova Forum banner

Rust around the windshield

12K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Greg_R_63 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I NEED SOME ADVISE ON WHATS THE BEST WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM.SEE PICS.

See less See more
#4 ·
The thing is, if he's asking what to do, he probably is not into fabbing metal, and that is a pretty complex area, with curved bends, and a pinch weld. Plus, that rust most likely extends farther than we can see on the inside. If it was just the face of the channel that we see, maybe, but I bet he has to go farther than that.

#5 ·
Here is what I did for the rust I found on my back window channel. Almost the same situation you have with your windshield. I cut out the old stuff sprayed some rust preventative up in there and patched it. If you would like to see pictures of it in primer after I did all this work PM me and I'll email you more.

#6 ·
There are a few ways you can fix it.

If you want the car to be correct throughout, even in places you can't really see, I would find a good metal fab shop in your area. They can restore the channels to stock condition by fabbing rails to fit in that area. That is what I did and they came out AWESOME!

Before

After

Otherwise, you can try and weld it your self and fill it in that way.

John

#9 ·
Oooohhhh!! I saw the thread, "Rust around the windshield" and I cringed... Not an easy fix at all. And when I hear that I have to assume the entire body is shot. When the cancer has reached that point (the window channel) Im sure the cancer is terminal for the other areas... Bummer... Work on that as best as you can. Whatever skill level (read MONEY) is available..

I could post some bandaid fixes. I hate to here for fear of bashing.

But really, how is the rest of the car??? Maybe some stuff that you havent gotten into yet?

That job is beyond me, and Im sure beyond you too otherwise you wouldnt be asking. Its a cut and weld job. And not a simple one. The roof is involved. You let the roof loose you may not get it back. Its an animal. I have welded on the roof seam, tricky animal!!!!

I wish I could freely post some of my hack procedures here. Id give some advice. But then Id just get crapped on.

If it were my car I would have a few ideas that dont include cutting out the section. But thats for another forum that isint here... JR

#10 ·
I wish I could freely post some of my hack procedures here. Id give some advice. But then Id just get crapped on.

If it were my car I would have a few ideas that dont include cutting out the section. But thats for another forum that isint here... JR
Is this place really that scary and intimidating?:D You've seen my sheet metal threads, how could yours be any worse?:D:rolleyes:

#11 ·
The rest of the car is in pretty good shape.i'm replacing the center trunk area now.there is some rust in the lower part of the front fenders.around the rear fenderwells looks ok but i,m sure there is rust somewhere in there.looking at this site i've seen a lot worst.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.