Chevy Nova Forum banner

converting sump 6 cyl

3K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  GordoAcadian 
#1 ·
Have a question for you guys:

Try to follow along :D

My '64 has a nice running 194.

I got a free 250 from a 70k mile '67 Chevelle wagon that was running smooth before pulled.

My friend just got a 194 from a '62 nova for his 30's hotrod.

I need to convert to a front sump & he wants to convert to a rear sump.

Questions:
Is it possible to just swap oil pans & pump pickups?
What are the exact details on the dipstick?

thanks!

El Gordo

#4 ·
Not a sixer guy but I have heard front sump the dip stick goes in the pan rear sump is goes in the block.So that said front sump on Non Nova block is simple just plug the dip stick hole in the block,rear sump on a nova block requires a hole to be drilled for the dip stick.

#5 ·
Not a sixer guy but I have heard front sump the dip stick goes in the pan rear sump is goes in the block.So that said front sump on Non Nova block is simple just plug the dip stick hole in the block,rear sump on a nova block requires a hole to be drilled for the dip stick.
Not all blocks have a pad there to drill out as can be seen in the top pic, or I would have done that..:)

#9 ·
So I finally got some pictures!
The first shows my 194 in my Acadian which should be the same as my buddy's.
Am I correct that the flat spot to the left of the GM, just above the starter is the boss for the rear sump dipstick?

the following pics are my 250 on a stand with the side we need to see up against a wall :rolleyes: this showing rear sump dipstick

Is the round button between the fuel pump & motormount the front sump boss?

thanks!

#14 ·
Simplest way to do either is weld a tube to the oil pan like the Old v8s had.
Sec. If you do not have PS just dimple the pan Or C knotch it for the clearance
on the drag link. As to adding the tube Just make sure to match the height of the tube on the block this way you can use the same dip stick.and keep the bottom part of the tube High up on the oil pan as you can.It has been yrs from the last one i ever made for a rear sump.I found it just easier to do the notch on the oil pan.
Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.