Chevy Nova Forum banner

7/16"Bolt CPP upper cont. arm to a 1/2"?

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  T. Jerman 
#1 ·
Well guys I decided to go get some longer bolts for the upper control arm and nobody here has 7/16 x 20 bolts:mad: . So my question is what about a 1/2" bolt in the arm. It would have to drilled out alittle on the arm and the mounting holes.
I have a 1/2'' bolt and it will almost start in the holes. What do you think about drilling out a tad over 1/2" and using 1/2" bolts? Or should I keep tring to find a 7/16" bolts.
I went to Home Depot and a Ace true value hardware. Thanks

#2 ·
when i was looking ta get my rear perches done i wanted new grade 8 bolts... i "googled" bolts and found TONS of suppliers... they all had a minimum order type gig goin' but i did find what i needed...

i think mine were 9/16-18... an unusual size... i bet the 7/16-20's would be easier ;)

i wish ya luck ;)

#3 ·
Check the yellow pages under bolts and fasteners. Most fair size cities have at least one place listed that will have what you need. I don't remember how large Canon City is , it's been a number of years since I was through there but I bet Denver or Colorado Springs will have a place to get them.

#6 ·
What do you guys think about putting gr. 5 bolts in the upper control arms. They have gr. 5 bolts. Just a thought.
I wouldn't. The entire weight of the front end rides on those two bolts at some point during suspension travel.

If you have a Fastenal or other bolt supplier (larger NAPA stores usually have a good selection or even a good Ace Hardware store does sometimes), I'd try there.

Don't skimp on fasteners, it'll bite ya in the butt HARD! :shh:

#7 ·
Got my bolts

Well good news got my bolts today from Fastenal. The other day I went out to Fastenal for some bolts (not the 7/16") and they wanted to sell me a package of them like 25 bolts. So I did try to got out there to buy the 7/16 bolts. So my mind went into overdrive and I waited til I got to work today and called them and said this is so and so from my company I work for and told him what I needed 4 ea. bolts of 7/16x20x2" and 2 1/2". He said let me look and see if I got them and he said yes. He also told to come by and get them and would give them to me:D . Told him be there by 5:00 and he got me the bolts and I walked out the door. Amazing what working for a company does that buys several hundreds thousand dollars worth of bolts a year will do for you!! Now upper A-arms are bolted down and ready for springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.