Chevy Nova Forum banner

Exhaust exit poll

Exhaust exit poll - straight out the back or behind the rear tires?

94K views 262 replies 175 participants last post by  72 Duce 
#1 ·
Which do you prefer and why?

#8 ·
What I truly like is called tuck and dump!

They turn down and dump right at the rear bumper, and face the ground at a angle.

You can't see the pipes until the very end.

Takes a good muffler man to do this.

Mine dump behind the rear wheel, 3 inch pipe is not going all the way to the back, does cause some unwanted sound!

Al

#19 ·
I have to go with over the axle and downward behind the tires. On my old 70 you could barely see the tips. They pointed downward at an angle and had the ends of the pipes cut like stock, hard to describe but like the pipe was cut at an angle but only half of the end is at an angle, as if you took it and flattened the top half. Look at the majority of early 90's GM trucks.
You can barely see it on my old dually:

you can barely see the tip on the nova:

#20 ·
It sounds like you are overthinking this a little too much and making a science project out ot it. Do what you like or have to do...it's just two exhaust pipes. Personally I hate them dumped under the car...too much noise, exhaust fumes, etc. On my 66 I had to exit them through the rocker in front the rear tires as there was no room for large exhaust due to all the suspension stuff. My 33 street rod has them all the way to the rear pan but tucked underneath with a short turn down right at the lip so they don't show.

As with most personal car stuff it's a matter of what YOU like or sometimes the way it's built you only have one or two options for what you can do.

#30 · (Edited)
I'm with Mike on this, not only should you do what YOU like, but what looks good on your car as well. Like Mikes 66, I have no choice but to exit in front of the rear tires because there is no room under the car. I dont think a Pro Street would look good with the exhaust exiting anywhere else except in front of the rear tire but again thats just my opinion.

#21 ·
I like mine coming down after the rear tires with little pipe showing. Out the back is OK for me as long as they turn down a bit with little pipe showing. Never cared for the pipes coming strait out the back .

#22 ·
Mine turn down and dump right before the axle about 3" above the ground. Super loud. Couple that with my gear drive and mechanical fan and I'm setting off car alarms 2 blocks away just idleing. :devil:

Some day I plan on changing it so the exhaust dumps behind the tires. I need a new tach, new tires, and few other parts totaling up to about $1k so the exhaust has to wait.

#23 ·
Exhaust

I orginally wanted to have the exhaust exit striaght out the back, but when I got my kit it went over the rear axle and dumps out behind the rear tires. At first I did not like it and was trying to find a way to correct it. It has now grown on me and since you can not see and of the exhaust, and it is a 3" pipe, and I love the sound I would not correct it and would recommend it. I and still trying to get to drive it so I don't know how the sound is in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.