Chevy Nova Forum banner

Wheel alignments

890 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  batman09 
#1 ·
Hi all:

Where do you all generally go to get your wheel alignments done? A general chain place like Midas, Meineke, Michel Tire, etc? Or, do you go to a more specialized place that deals only with classic cars?

I need to get one done for my '72.

Thanks!

#2 ·
I take mine to a local chain store type tire center (Less Schwabb)...
I know the manage of the alignments/brakes/suspension department, and he's a hotrodder ;)

A lot of the big name companies won't let you tweak with alignment settings--they'll only set it as close to "Manufacturer Recommendations" as they can...so you may have to go elsewhere to get better than stock alignment specs.

Always a good idea to ask first.
Even a better idea to sit there and wait/watch while they do the work...sometimes those chain store type guys aren't the greatest mechanics....I'm not saying they're all bad, but I've had some bad experiences.

#3 ·
Thanks Bscman.

I know what you mean about bad experiences with chain stores. That's why I wanted to get a feel for what people do here.

I think in general, the people that work at the chain stores aren't trained to work on the older cars anyway. They see all of the newer models that come in.

Take care!

#4 ·
I do my own. I have acess to a new hunter system at work. If I had to send it out, I would look for an independent shop that has an experienced allignment person that understands allignments and not just how to make the numbers look good on the screen .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.