Chevy Nova Forum banner

Building a killer bottle fed 427 SBC STROKER

20K views 89 replies 25 participants last post by  Seattle_Mike 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm currently building a 427sbc stroker and I'm going to spray it!!!

Dart Little M race block with steel caps!
Diamond racing pistons...flat top 11.1CR 043. 043. 3/16 hell fire rings
Eagle 4340 Standard weight crank
Eagle H beam Rods Clearanced
Bullet Cams custom Grind
with T&D 1.6 shaft rockers
3/8's push rods and crower bushed lifters
EdelBrock 77629 race heads with custom porting flowing 310 at 700
with Trick Titanium Valves and custom springs
Super Victor intake with custom plenum work and port matching
1050 Dominator Quick fuel carb
NOS 2 stage big shot kit 400hp shot.

We want to see around 1000hp on the bottle!

Let me know if you think I should review anything or change some stuff as I have ordered the majority of the big stuff but I havent order the Push rods or Roller Lifters or Shaft rockers yet!

Thanks for looking

See less See more
#4 ·
Looks like a great little engine there. I personally would get rid of the Eagle crank and rods and get something better. Not much luck with Eagle, seems like everyone has surpassed them on quality and no engine builders here would spec that engine with Eagle parts. Just me two cents.

#6 ·
I'm currently building a 427sbc stroker and I'm going to spray it!!!

Dart Little M race block with steel caps!
Diamond racing pistons...flat top 10.5CR 043. 043. 3/16 hell fire rings
Eagle 4340 Standard weight
Eagle H beam Rods
Comp Cams custom Grind Solid Roller 730lift 112lsa
with T&D 1.6 shaft rockers
3/8's push rods and comp roller lifters
EdelBrock 77629 race heads with custom porting flowing 310 at 700
with Trick Titanium Valves and custom springs
Super Victor intake with custom plenum work and port matching
1050 Dominator Quick fuel carb
NOS 2 stage big shot kit 400hp shot.

We want to see around 1000hp on the bottle!

Let me know if you think I should review anything or change some stuff as I have ordered the majority of the big stuff but I havent order the Push rods or Roller Lifters or Shaft rockers yet!

Thanks for looking
You will not be able to use 3/8 push rods, 5/16 .080 Manley or Smith bros would be the required option.

Comp roller lifters (buyer be ware) Herbert (Morel) will be your best option.

Edelbrock heads? NOT! Brodix or Dart with the HD decks will be your best option and performance.

Comp cam? :rolleyes:

Eagle crank, it is a good crank, Same Money you can get a better Manley 4340 none twist steel crank.

Al

#10 ·
You will not be able to use 3/8 push rods, 5/16 .080 Manley or Smith bros would be the required option.
Al
A buddy here at the shop ran 3/8" pushrods on his 408 with Brodix heads. He did have to clearance for them though. Probably a 550 hp motor plus 250 spray and he ran that little combo for a few years hard on the street and mostly strip. It ran 9.40s and had done a little better than that before also.

His stuff was all Eagle rotating assembly as well.

#7 ·
I have used Eagle cranks and or rods in several motors making over 700 hp and have had nothing but good results. I have Eagle rods in the 460 I'm using in one of my Novas right now. In fact I know nobody that has had issues with Eagle stuff in many years.

#8 ·
i have used eagle cranks and or rods in several motors making over 700 hp and have had nothing but good results. I have eagle rods in the 460 i'm using in one of my novas right now. In fact i know nobody that has had issues with eagle stuff in many years.
x2 100%

al

#21 ·
Well u got a few opinions on here so u stick n with your list ?
Only going to change a few things...but mostly have everything so can't change too much...I feel my limiting factor will be heads and intake but I'm interested to see with some medium port work if I can make around 600hp n/a and close to 1000hp on the bottle...

#19 ·
push rods

I would go with the larger as well, and if you have to by the rockers and lifters, go with an offset set and you will have more clearance, and the ability to go with a larger set of heads (235-245 ) with a wider port at the pinch point of the port for more power. Frank

#20 ·
I would go with the larger as well, and if you have to by the rockers and lifters, go with an offset set and you will have more clearance, and the ability to go with a larger set of heads (235-245 ) with a wider port at the pinch point of the port for more power. Frank
I have ordered the Shaft rockers with an offset and Lifter with an offset as well to accomadate the 3/8's push rods. I have the Heads all ready...However with some porting work on the heads and intake we saw 305 @ 700 and 235 @700 exhaust. Pac has supplied the springs 265 at 1.9 install height on the seat and 805 open with titanuim retainers

#22 ·
Okay so, I went with T@D for the rockers and they are setting me up with 250 offset and from some quick measurements I will be able to run a 3/8 intake and a 7/16 exhaust push rod... looks like I will have a pretty well built setup. I have compared some more numbers on my heads with other very competitive heads and my numbers are comparitive, I'm excited to see If I can make my goal even better then originally forecasted. I should have the engine together in the new year...Hopefully early in the new year!

I will update as we make small strides.

#23 ·
Okay All, So I did Change a few things over the engine bulid!

Headers are Dougs 1 7/8 to 3.5 inch collector, non slip on
Went with a bullet custom grind cam
T@D 1.6 rockers
3/8s intake push rod
7 1/6s exhaust pushrod
Crower .150 offset bushed lifters
Trick Titanium Valves
Meziere 55GPM Elec pump
Oil Accumilator
Moroso Vac Pump
11.6 CR now with Cam changes
And a couple of other good trick things

#31 ·
A friend here at the shop where I work did a 406 when I did mine. Both were Eagle all forged stuff with 6" rods. His wasn't a nitrous cam, but streeted it a lot and it had no problems running 9.20-9.40s on a 250 shot. At one time on his best 1/8 mile pass it went 5.80. He drove that thing for a few years spraying and taking it to the track a lot.

#37 ·
While motors requiring all the bells and whistles in the valve train can make lots of HP, in my experiences they also require alot of maintenance and attention. The average person doesn't seem to want to do the work or spend the money required to use that stuff. Making big power has never been easy, ultra reliable, or inexpensive from what I have seen.

#46 ·
Should be a tire burner, very good work on the entrance of the intake.

PS: I see a little part of a what seems to be some series power in the back ground, I see a oil tank!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.