Chevy Nova Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Ford 9 inch rear axles/brakes fit Novas?

71K views 87 replies 51 participants last post by  taz3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
super_davecars said:
I have a 57 ford 9 inch rear with 11 inch brakes.I have the drums but no shoes or hardware.I'm having trouble finding shoes,local parts store did not have a number in there wagner book.The drums measure a little over 2 inchs wide so I put some 2 inch by 11 shoes off an old full size chevy car and they fit fine on the ford backing plates but the drums rubbed the shoes it liked about an 1/8 inch or less to seat on the axle.Does anyone have any ford brake info or sources and/or part #s for a 57/59 9 inch rear. Thanks
I had the same problem with an early Ford rear on the Durango Deuce so I went to the boneyard and got some 11x2.5's off a 70's Merc Marauder. I was told I had to send in the early shoes to have them re-built since there aren't any readily available at the store. I may still have the original drums and shoes.
super_davecars said:
My parts guy at Orielly's found some brake shoes for me.They are Brake Best brand part # 55. He had them in stock for $14 and no core charge they are 1 3/4 x 11 inch shoes.

#61 ·
Here ya go big al I found this when I was tring to find the right size for mine.

The information on this list was compiled by members of the Fairlane / Torino / Ranchero Mailing List. No guarantee as to the accuracy of this data.

If you have QUESTIONS about Ford 9" Rear Ends, please visit our Forum.

Year & Model Axle Length Notes
1965-1966 Mustang 57.25 inches
1967-1970 Mustang 59.25 inches
1971-1973 Mustang 61.25 inches
1977-1981 Versailles 58.50 inches
1967-1973 Mustang, Torino, Ranchero, Fairlane 59.25 inches to
61.25 inches
1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon 57.25 inches
1966-1977 Bronco 58 inches
1977-1981 Granada/Versailles 58 inches
1967-1971 Comet, Cougar, Mustang, Fairlane 59.25 inches
1971-1973 Mustang 61.25 inches
1964 Falcon 58 inches
1967 Cougar 60 inches
1967 Fairlane 63.50 inches coil springs
1972 Ford Van 3/4 ton 68 inches
1973-1986 Ford Van 3/4 ton 65.25 inches
1957-1959 Ranchero and station wagon
57.25 inches
narrowest 9" housing
1966-1977 Bronco 58 inches 5-on-5 1/2 inch diameter bolt circle
1967-1973 Torinos, Rancheros, Fairlanes 59.25 inches or
61.25 inches
1967-1971 Comets, Cougars, Fairlanes 59.25 inches
1975 Mustang II 8" 57.00 inches
1974 Maverick 8" 56.50 inches

Where To Find The Nine Inch Rear Axle
1967-1973 medium and big block Mustangs and Cougars 1966-1971 Fairlanes, Torinos, Montegos, Comets, and other Ford intermediates with big blocks.
1957-1959 V8 Fords and Mercurys
1977-1981 Lincoln Versailles & Trucks

Types Of Nine Inch Axle Housings
1967-1973 Mustang/Cougar - light duty, thinnest housing material, small axle bearings, 28 and 31 splines.
1957-1968 passenger car and 1/2 ton truck - medium duty, stronger than Mustang type, 28 and 31 splines.
Ranchero/Torino - heavy duty thick wall housing, 3.25 inch diameter axle tubes with flat tops.
1969-1977 Galaxies (coils), Lincolns (coils), and late pickups (leaf)- 3.25 inch diameter all the way to the backing plate, coil housings have upper control arm mount

How To Recognize Nine Inch Housing Centers
1957 - no dimples, flat center band up the center of the rear cover, bottom drain plug.
1958-1959 - two dimples on back of housing, flat center band, some had drain holes.
1960-1967 - two dimples, flat center band, oil level hole in back cover.
1963-1977 Lincoln, LTD, Thunderbirds had 9.375 inch centers, housings were cut away at the gasket surface for ring gear clearance, one curved rib at the front top portion of differential, strong but no gears.

Tip On Shortening Nine Inch Axles
1972 and earlier 31 spline axles have the ability to be shortened.

28 spline axles are tapered and cannot be shortened and re-splined.
1973 and later cars have a 5-on-5 bolt circle and the axles cannot be shortened.
1967-1973 Mustang axles can be identified by wheel flange:
Oval hole = 28 splines.
Two large holes and counter-sunk center = 31 splines.

#62 ·
Good find! If it ends up being an early 28 spline keep us updated on how it holds up to the power. I have the same rear out of a late 60's bronco, 58" wide. I have been contemplating the upgrade to 31 spline spool/axles.

#73 ·
Fast Eddie,
I am curious if you have mini-tubbed the rear of your car. If not, what size rims and tires are you able to run with the stock tubs? Safe to assume you had no problem with the pinion offset?

These rear ends are available on e-bay, Craig's list and others for usually about $600-800 including axles. Pretty much the same as the aftermarket Camaro 9" housings. By the time you add a center section, backing plates, brakes, etc, you are still up in the $1,700-$2,000 range, depending on options. Anyone succeed in doing the 9" swap into a first gen for much less?

#77 ·
9" bolt in for those who are not sure....

Ok I just thought I would share some info with you guys. I have discovered the a Ford 9" from a 1957 For Fairlane is a direct bolt in fit in the 4th gen novas which in terms shaould also fit a 3rd gen as well. Leaf spring mounts are exactly the same width apart.The only thing I am unsure with is the brake line size as I switch to disc brakes and had to do new lines for that.
The rear end is a little bit shorter than the stock nova rear BUT if you have the right backspacing everything will still be good. My setup works good still with no spacers and no shock relocation and still have almost 1" of clearance between the rim and the shock mount. I have pics in the 4th gen section of the new rear in my nova.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123096
I hope this helps some of you guys out with your quest to a better, stronger rear end.

#78 ·
Ok I just thought I would share some info with you guys. I have discovered the a Ford 9" from a 1957 For Fairlane is a direct bolt in fit in the 4th gen novas which in terms shaould also fit a 3rd gen as well. Leaf spring mounts are exactly the same width apart.The only thing I am unsure with is the brake line size as I switch to disc brakes and had to do new lines for that.
The rear end is a little bit shorter than the stock nova rear BUT if you have the right backspacing everything will still be good. My setup works good still with no spacers and no shock relocation and still have almost 1" of clearance between the rim and the shock mount. I have pics in the 4th gen section of the new rear in my nova.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123096
I hope this helps some of you guys out with your quest to a better, stronger rear end.
I would have to think those from a 57 ford fairlane would be a little rare.

#79 ·
Here in mn we have a junk yard that dont crush old classics and actually have quite a few of those in there. For those who have these types of yards in there area it should be available. I learned this info and thought I would share it cuz all I ever heard that fit before were the 67 mustang rears and those have 4 lugs lol. I do agree they can be rare but I think finding one in a yard will likely still have the rear in it compared to a mustang lol.

#80 · (Edited)
I have two of those rearends, the pinion is offset different than the stock nova rearends I believe. We narrowed one and installed it in my Son's 70 but centered the pinion and installed the larger bearing housing ends, 31 splin axles and a back brace- A person is much farther ahead using a later 9" housing though as they are much stronger.

The 57 housings are tough to find because they truly are a bolt in replacement for an 8" on the early mustangs and a lot of them got used up years ago.

Also, don't throw much power at that 57 Ford center section-that is the weakest casting Ford made for the 9". The pinion support area usually breaks clean off if the car hooks good.

#81 ·
Nope I when I got the rear end I talked the yard into giving me a newer style third member lol. I knew better than that lol. I play my cards right and so far so good lol I will let you know about the pinion line up in a few days as that is the next thing I am installing.

#83 · (Edited by Moderator)
9 inch ford rears

Q: Of the Ford 9 inch rear ends that some of you have installed...which one is the most common or easiest to find?

A1: you should look into the 60 something to 77 small bronco ones for the 64 but they have to be re drilled for 4.75 bolt circle the rears are 5 or more hard to find good rims

A2: Mine came out of a Bronco and was 57", filled it with 4.11 Richmond Gears, Detroit Locker and 31 splune Currie axles. Look for one with large axle bearings. You can use the housing with the small bearings but are limited to 31 spline axles.:yes:

A3: might be limited but a 31 spline axle is a beefy axle

A4: I found mine at art morrison and strange engineering. 31 spline, plenty strong for my needs. JR

A5: 1970 mustang

A6: 63 thunderbird

#84 ·
What Ford 9" rears fit 3rd gen Novas?

I'm debating buying a used 9" what do I look for, fitment wise and is it difficult finding something that will bolt right in. My 12 bolt has a damaged pinion bearing and yoke, I need to wait 2-3 weeks for parts, so I'm looking at all my options for a used rear end. 12 bolts are too pricey, and 8.5's are also an option, but I've located a couple 9" units, I'm just not sure if there are good ones and bad or weaker ones. I like the fact I can re & re the 3rd member.

#86 · (Edited by Moderator)
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.