Chevy Nova Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

What Ford 9 inch rear axles/brakes fit Novas?

71K views 87 replies 51 participants last post by  taz3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
super_davecars said:
I have a 57 ford 9 inch rear with 11 inch brakes.I have the drums but no shoes or hardware.I'm having trouble finding shoes,local parts store did not have a number in there wagner book.The drums measure a little over 2 inchs wide so I put some 2 inch by 11 shoes off an old full size chevy car and they fit fine on the ford backing plates but the drums rubbed the shoes it liked about an 1/8 inch or less to seat on the axle.Does anyone have any ford brake info or sources and/or part #s for a 57/59 9 inch rear. Thanks
I had the same problem with an early Ford rear on the Durango Deuce so I went to the boneyard and got some 11x2.5's off a 70's Merc Marauder. I was told I had to send in the early shoes to have them re-built since there aren't any readily available at the store. I may still have the original drums and shoes.
super_davecars said:
My parts guy at Orielly's found some brake shoes for me.They are Brake Best brand part # 55. He had them in stock for $14 and no core charge they are 1 3/4 x 11 inch shoes.

#31 ·
Would I have to run a sixteen inch wheel to clear discs or is a 15 o.k. ?
I have seen various threads on ford nine inch , 8.8, s 10 , Versellas (spell check),etc.
Perhaps there should be something under "best of tech" or something for "rear ends for first gens " or something similar.

Thanks for the help

#34 ·
What Ford 9 inch rears fit Novas?

If you were to design a Ford 9" axle for a perfect fit on an early Nova, wat would be the dimensions?

I have heard that the original axle on a early Nova was, in effect, too wide. Is this true?

#35 ·
Lincoln Versaille 9"

so ive found this online:

_______ A_______B______C__
62-67 | 43 1/2" | 50 3/4" | 57 3/4"
68-79 | 42 3/4" | 53 1/4" | 60 1/4"

A = Mounting plate (center to center)
B = Backing Plate to Backing Plate
C = Wheel mounting surface (drum to drum)

I have a 62 , according to these specs its 57 3/4" Wheel mounting surface-Wheel mounting surface

Im wanting to do the lincoln 9" rear but wanted to get some input from you guys.

The specs say that its 58" Wheel mounting surface-Wheel mounting surface

Would it be a safe assumption to say that I can bolt it up with no issue ? since its only 1/4" difference total, yielding a 1/8" difference on each side.

The big difference I did see was 1/4" on the mounting plates so Im guessin this will be the only thing I will need to modify . Has anyone else used this rear end? Im just asking even though its a rare rear end. thanks

#37 ·
The Lincoln rear has a centered pinion where the Chevy II has 1/2" pinion offset. The Lincoln brake parts are getting hard to find and are pretty expensive. Wheel spacers would fix the width problem but you'd need longer studs. If you were changing studs you could have the bolt pattern redrilled to 5x4 3/4" Chevy pattern. The yoke would be easy to change but you need to remember that the 9" is 1" shorter from the axle CL to the u-joint CL. means the driveshaft slides out of the trans 1" more.

#38 ·
#45 ·
i put the versailles rear in my 63 and it was pretty much a bolt in. there is a u-joint available that allows the chevy shaft to bolt to the ford rear. i thought it would be an easy way to get 4 wheel disc. then i bought a currie posi and super strong axles so i ended up with alot in it, but i don't regret it. strong rear that i should never have to worry about. the calipers and vented rotors are heavier than they need be tho.

#46 ·
The Mustang Boys will want that rear end big time.

It's a good unit.

I got a Detroit Locker for sale that will fit perfect!!!

The disc brake stuff is easy.
Any parts store will have it or can have it in day.
the parts are "W" class but not discontinued. They are the same on a lot of FORD vehicles.

Al

#54 ·
I swapped my stock one with a 9" out of a late 60's mustang. I have a 3rd gen though. I found an article in hotrod magazine listing the total lengths of the stock chevrolet rear end, also the ford 9" rears were listed. You probably could find it in their archives. The swap was very very easy. Used the factory chevrolet driveshaft. Had to have a brake hose made, the ford brake lines were bigger. I did this swap about 13 years ago. Installed a powertrax locker in it. I have been very pleased with it. That 9" takes whatever I throw at it.:D

#55 ·
9 inch ford question

Does anybody know what the axle offset is on a 9 inch ford with the 11 inch Torino brakes? It also has the housing ends with the 1/2 T bolts, I think they are Torino also.The reason I am asking is I found this brake kit on CL and want to know it it will fit my rear end/axles

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=1920

#57 ·
Does anybody know what the axle offset is on a 9 inch ford with the 11 inch Torino brakes? It also has the housing ends with the 1/2 T bolts, I think they are Torino also.The reason I am asking is I found this brake kit on CL and want to know it it will fit my rear end/axles

http://www.currieenterprises.com/cestore/productsRE.aspx?id=1920

You can buy that kit directly from Ford Motorsport for less money. I bought one to put on a narrowed 9" for my Nova. From what I remember, you have to have the big bearing ends. I used some from Mark Williams. The kit pretty much bolts on...uses Explorer calipers and E-brake setup that's kind of slick. I used Lokar E-brake cables to rig it up. If you have any questions, let me know.

#56 ·
Fords has standard axle flange to axle face spacing.

brakes will work with a 8inch or 9inch Ford.

Axle width will only change by the thickness of the rotor hat.

Al

#58 · (Edited)
9'' Ford rear, have I struck gold??

I sold my Camaro project last week. In the deal the buyer had a complete drum brake 9 inch ford rear.
It is a open rear with low 3.?? gears.

This thing has spring perch center to center measurement of 43''
Flange width of 55 3/4
Axle width of 58 1/2

This thing can bolt right into my NOVA.
Spring perch is identical, width is only 3/4 short on bolt sides. SO whoopee!

WTF? Where did this come from?
I mean WHERE IN THE HELL DID THIS COME FROM?:eek::confused::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Al

#66 ·
I sold my Camaro project last week. In the deal the buyer had a complete drum brake 9 inch ford rear.
It is a open rear with low 3.?? gears.

This thing has spring perch center to center measurement of 43''
Flange width of 55 3/4
Axle width of 58 1/2

This thing can bolt right into my NOVA.
Spring perch is identical, width is only 3/4 short on bolt sides. SO whoopee!

WTF? Where did this come from?
I mean WHERE IN THE HELL DID THIS COME FROM?:eek::confused::confused::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Al
Now, for around another $700 (or more depending on the options you want) you can have a nodular (BIG bearing) center section (I get mine straight through Canfield---same as the Moser since John sells 90% of them to Greg Mosier :D), spool, 35 or 40 spline axles, a modified Daytona pinion support (for oil return), 4340 billet yoke and whatever gears you want.
Then, if it's all set-up right, you won't be able to hurt it on your BEST day.:yes::devil:
The down-side....Then the rear-end will weigh as much as the rear of your car!! I'm thinking seriously about sending my axles back and having them gun drilled and the flanges lightened. There's several pounds to be removed there!!

Excellent find!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.