'62 Chevrolet Chevy II Project - Page 3 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 1st & 2nd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th-December-2016, 04:36 AM   #31
no go nova

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1966 nova
This is one of the first times I'm seeing this done and your doing great work. Keep it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-December-2016, 09:37 PM   #32
rraney

Title: Nova Newbie
You are doing some nice work. Keep the updates coming.
Old 24th-December-2016, 04:02 AM   #33
SixTwo
(OP)

Nova(s): '62 Chevy II
Thanks Fellas! I appreciate the kind comments !

With all of the Christmas stuff going on, I haven't been able to work much with this. Now I'll try to find some time to go doing some work with it so stay tuned...

...And of course, Merry Christmas to all Chevy II / Nova / Acadian guys out there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 30th-December-2016, 04:00 PM   #34
SixTwo
(OP)

Originally I was going to order a disk brake set on front, but after taking the brake drums off I think I'll be using the stock brakes for a while. I know they're not really good, but I think I can live the next summer with them. Someone has rebuilt the front brakes completely and a friend gave me a set of stock rear brakes too. This will save me a bunch of money, as a student I just can't afford everything at the same time ! The brakes will be updated later on, hopefully next winter.

And then I moved the holes for the door handle on my driver's side door. I just cut a wide slice of that door away, cut that in half and welded the pieces back together but on each others' places. So now the door handle sits a bit further back. On that former rear door I cut the door handle-thing away and cut a same size piece from another rusty door that I bought for spare parts from a friend. I had to sand it to bare metal before welding though, as there was a lot of Bondo used...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 31st-December-2016, 02:40 PM   #35
SixTwo
(OP)

Today when the early birds were already shooting fireworks to the sky, I headed to garage and started doing the Two Door conversion for co-driver's side as well.

First thing to do was to cut that inner door sheet metal away from rear end of the front door. The piece I cut away will be moved a bit backwards later...

Then with a bit of heat I scribed that old underbody coating away so it doesn't burn while welding.

Next I cut that outer door skin and inner sheet metal apart from each others from that rear door. I scribed underbody coating away from there as well.

Then welded that rear door skin and front door together. The fitment was actually really good so it was pretty easy to weld them together.

Next step will be cutting the front door to correct length and shape...Happy New Year to all here at Steve's Nova Site!

Last edited by SixTwo; 31st-December-2016 at 02:43 PM.
Old 1st-January-2017, 01:00 PM   #36
SixTwo
(OP)

Today it was time to continue working with that co-driver's door. First step was to draw a line where to cut that too long door as two pieces. I used my measurements and a template that I took from friend's '63 SS Convertible and then I used a jigsaw for the cut.

Fitting the rear end of that inner door sheet metal on place wasn't so simple, as it had to be similar as the one on driver's side. But when I got it fitted correctly, I welded it on place with a couple of welds.

Next I was going to fill the holes that were on above and below the door panel place. The top one was finished, but I couldn't finish the bottom one quite yet as my welding machine ran out of gas again. When I get a refill, I'll continue from here...

Old 2nd-January-2017, 01:08 AM   #37
Thomas Burgess

Nova(s): 1964
2 Door Conversion

Hey that's quite the work you are doing there! Thanks for documenting it. Keep it comin.
Old 10th-January-2017, 09:38 AM   #38
SixTwo
(OP)

Thanks!

I like it when I can work on something during the winter. I rather spend time in the garage than just sitting on a couch...

Yesterday our last items from Pomona Swap Meet arrived here in Finland. So the heads, oil pan and that Radio Jet wagon had to be shipped in here, but thanks to Finn-US Logistics that was a simple and easy task.

A Few days ago I cut that co-driver's side B-pillar away, so the next thing will be modifying it to look like the one on factory made 2 Door Sedan.

Then I decided to study how to put lead to cover all of those weld seams on driver's side. Lots of information about this can be found in the internet so I got a decent idea how it's done. What everyone said as the most important thing was to keep the area clean where you want to add lead. So I sanded that area into bare metal with a nylon disk on my angle grinder. I decided to begin from where I had filled that antenna hole, as if I heated the lead a bit too much, it wouldn't be on the floor straight away.

Here is the area cleaned.

Then according to the step by step instructions I added the paste and did everything else the instructions said. Heating up the lead and making it soft was actually easier than I thought, but I had some problems with spreading it smootly on that area, as the wooden trowel I borrowed from my mom's kitchen wasn't probably the best tool for this...

But luckily I was able to find a better one and when I tried leading on driver's door it was a lot easier. And surprisingly, I didn't heat the lead too much, zero lead went to the floor...

Old 10th-January-2017, 02:25 PM   #39
Tuckin20s

Nova(s): White 63 SS Ls1-4l60
Garage
I just started following your Novas thread.I am impressed with what you have done so far on your Nova so far .My Son who is ZZ3guy here at Steves had a 62 sedan that he installed a 20x8 wheel on the rear with out a minitub so with the tub job you should he able to fix a bigger wheel and tire package on your Nova..

COOL AIN"T NEVER CHEAP OR EASY
Old 11th-January-2017, 04:57 AM   #40
SixTwo
(OP)

Thank You!

Those 20" wheels are huge, great to hear that they can be fitted in those original tubs! I should have no problems with mine then . I'll be going with regular 15x8 steel wheels and high profile tires on mine, but I think they should fit easily in there too.

Old 11th-January-2017, 11:30 AM   #41
Tuckin20s

Nova(s): White 63 SS Ls1-4l60
Garage
ZZ3guy had a problem with tire rub up high in the tub about where the trunk hinge piece attaches to the tub .He cut out the place where the rub was and reattached it to cure the rub.I had a minor rub with a 26 in tall tire and a 2 in. lowering block.Once I put the Blazer sway bar on it stopped the rubbing.The link below goes to a thread about the rear sway bar install.
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums...d.php?t=179738

COOL AIN"T NEVER CHEAP OR EASY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement