Chevy Nova Forum banner

My 79 Rally Custom restoration part 1: Seats

5K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  azshadow61 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Recently I have restored and renewed my 1979 Rally, with a custom fiberglass dash, bucket seats, custom door panels and a lot more...

As a starter, here is how I took off the bench seat and used a 1976 Camaro seats:

First, a pic of the "Before"... :

Step 1:

1976 Camaro seats with new upholstery and a pair of Summit Racing universal seat rails:

Step 2:

I took the bench seat off, including carpet, cleaned the car floor from dirt and surface rust, and made this brackets for the inside rail of the seats, since the bench seats doesn't have 4 brackets:

Step 3:

First, I used a plate to be bolted on the original bolts position:

Then, using another piece of metal, I created added height to the seat, and drilled holes for the original bolts of the universal rails, then I bolted it to the seat:

Step 4:

In order to do it right... I sprayed the car's floor with a primer, the I used undercoat spray on the car's floor, to be covered by custom carpet underlay, then by a new carpet from Classic Industries:

The result... :D

(I'll post the custom console pics soon)

The Custom door panels:

The rear seat and rear side panels:

If you are interested, you will see next on "My 79 Rally Custom restoration":

- Custom Fiberglass Dashboard
- Custom Console

That's all for now :)

Lior.

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks awesome! When you coming to do my Rally? lol

I've been thinking Camaro seats are the same and those look just like my Rally buckets. Nice job on the brackets. How much you charge to make another set of those? Those would probably sell pretty good if another rail could be made to bolt in for the inside too.

Keep up the awesome work!

#3 ·
It looks Great, what did you do to the back deck area?
I've been thinking about the same thing on my new one.
Your door panels look really good too.
The dash though is my favorite.
Good job!!!

#9 ·
Bucket Seats

I know this is an old thread (which is probably why the pictures that were posted aren't showing)... but, I had picked up mid-80's Camaro buckets to put in my 79 Nova (because they were cheap), and since the Nova originally had a bench I was unsure of how to mount the buckets, and considered fabricating the hardware myself. Is there some resource that specifically addresses this issue? or kits available to do the same job? Maybe I should scrap the Camaro seats and look for something else? Any advice is gladly accepted!

#10 ·
The factory Nova seat mounts for buckets were an overkill as far as stength. I cut a set out of a 75 and sold them. The outboard mount was bolted at the factory bench seat location and welded to the floor. It moved the mount area in away from the door several inches. The inboard side was a heavy brace that ran over the trans hump and was spot welded. One brace for the front mount and another for the rear.

Welcomre to the site. Where is AZ are you? I live just outside Tucson.

#11 ·
Thanks Phillip-- I live in NE Phoenix. This 79 has been a project for awhile now-- my 21 yr old son and I were supposed to work on this together, but he enlisted in the Army a couple of years ago and the project went on hold. He'll be back from Afghanistan this summer and I'm thinking getting back to work on finishing the Nova would be a great surprise. Unfortunately there seems to be lots of little things to do to get this car looking like I want it to. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.