Directional problem - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Electrical

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th-May-2017, 10:45 PM   #1
77 pro street
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1977
Directional problem

Hi I'm confused , I re wired my street strip car completely from scratch using a Leash electronics street strip wiring board. The car is all wired and everything is working as it should , until I start the car , than the directionals , and hazards go haywire , they just kind of stay on and sort of flicker , the minute I turn off the motor things work fine , I've checked grounds , alt output , moved the coil from under the dash to inside the engine compartment , all new bulbs , I'm lost any ideas ? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th-May-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
Custom Jim

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1968,1973,1974,1977(Sold)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 pro street View Post
The car is all wired and everything is working as it should , until I start the car , than the directionals , and hazards go haywire , they just kind of stay on and sort of flicker , the minute I turn off the motor things work fine , I've checked grounds , alt output , moved the coil from under the dash to inside the engine compartment , all new bulbs , I'm lost any ideas ? Thanks
Do you have LED lights or filament type or a combination of both ?.

When you checked grounds and alternator output, how were these things checked ?.

If I thought it was an alternator issue, I would disconnect it and then run the car off of the battery for a bit and see what happens but do this without a battery charger hooked up.

When you have this issue, it's not hooked up to a battery charger is it ?.

Are you running a 12V system, a 16V system, or a combination of both ?.

Jim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19th-May-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
77 pro street
(OP)

Jim , 12v system, filament type bulbs, 14.4v at alt. 14.2 at batt while running ,I did also disconnect the alt with no change , as far as the grounds I just cleaned all connections and ran jumper cables as grounds from various spots on the car but nothing , and no charger hooked up.

Old 19th-May-2017, 09:29 AM   #4
Custom Jim

Garage
Quote:
Jim , 12v system, filament type bulbs, 14.4v at alt. 14.2 at batt while running ,I did also disconnect the alt with no change , as far as the grounds I just cleaned all connections and ran jumper cables as grounds from various spots on the car but nothing , and no charger hooked up.
Since the flashing is only with the directionals and hazards, does the Leash electronics street strip wiring board have a flasher module on it ?. If it does, maybe unplug it and see if the flashing goes away and then if it does, maybe the module is bad ?.

Jim

Old 19th-May-2017, 09:50 AM   #5
77 pro street
(OP)

I'm having trouble uploading a pic of the panel but if you look up Leash Electronics street strip board you'll see that all relays and I believe flashers also are potted in epoxy and non removable. Weird thing is why it works great with engine off ,
Old 19th-May-2017, 02:54 PM   #6
Custom Jim

Garage
Quote:
I'm having trouble uploading a pic of the panel but if you look up Leash Electronics street strip board you'll see that all relays and I believe flashers also are potted in epoxy and non removable. Weird thing is why it works great with engine off ,
I went to the website and saw this: All relay and wiring boards are removed from website and not available to order until we get caught up with current orders.

I also looked around, and maybe not enough, but I saw no wiring information or diagrams. Did you get a diagram with what you have and how it's connected in your car ?.

I'm wondering too, you had the alternator disconnected and still had the issue. When a vehicle is running, there normally are vibrations and if there is a issue with the board, it might not show up unless it's vibrating ?. I remember years ago having a car amplifier turn on by itself while driving down the road and it turned out to be some metal shavings from when the screws were driven in for the end caps and these little aluminum shavings would short across spots on the circuit board. Maybe with the key on and the motor not running try tapping on the board to see if that does anything.

What few pictures I did see of the boards from Leash, I could not zoom in enough to where I could see things on it clearly. I could see the small cubes all next to each other were relays (and could see part numbers on them that confirmed that they were relays) but then there are also smaller rectangular cubes which do look like smaller lower amperage relays but I cannot say for sure what they are.

Jim

Old 20th-May-2017, 12:13 AM   #7
EdH

Title: Nova Guru
Is it possible there's wires touching that are not suppose to be on the board? Could be an internal problem with the board.

Wondering if it does it no matter the position of the direction switch is, even off? Maybe try disconnecting each bulb, see if things change.

Anytime I see flickering or dim lights, it's usually a ground problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement