Chevy Nova Forum banner

automatic to 4 speed swap?

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  chevynuts88 
#1 ·
Has anyone done this swap to a 66 or 67 nova? What am I in for? How hard would it be to add peddles and such. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
the 66/67 pedals with all the clutch linkage parts all available in repro if you cant find original parts, you'll need a 10.5" flywheel and clutch, nova only bellhousing, part no ends in 309?, the weld in shifter hump is available,
original trans crossmember used, original driveshaft if using muncie m20/21,
you may need a longer speedo cable, depending what side it is on the tailshaft, hardest part to find is probably the correct 4 speed console if you intend to use one,
i'm sure others will add stuff i've missed or got wrong.

#4 ·
Hi, yeah i'm in the UK with a nova, i considered and researched converting to a 4 speed a couple of years ago but went down the th350 route mainly due to the difficulty collecting the correct parts, mainly the 4 speed console as my car is an SS, as for fitting the z bar i can't comment as i didn't get this far, Gary.

#5 · (Edited)
First Question is what type of BLOCK is in your Nova. The Nova pivot ball for the Z-bar mounts different than all of the other BLOCKS. The after market suppliers make adapters to locate the ball in the right place. The Z-bar slips over this ball. The Z-bar has a ball in the other side which bolts to a FRAME bracket. This frame bracket mounts into two holes behind the steering box. The holes are found in the fender well. The bolts come up thru the frame into the welded nuts on the frame bracket.

Here are some old GM part numbers.
3849309 One piece bell housing ( munice ) Nova only
3788401 Clutch fork for Bell housing
3792365 Frame bracket ( to mount Z-bar )
3898610 Ball Stud ( for frame bracket )
3792909 Z-bar
3866568 Ball Stud ( for Block )
3790015 Clutch Adjusting ROD

This frame bracket is for sale on E-bay. TOO much money for it. But this shows a good picture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-N....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:727|65:12|39:1|240:1318.

B

#6 ·
First Question is what type of BLOCK is in your Nova. The Nova pivot ball for the Z-bar mounts different than all of the other BLOCKS. The after market suppliers make adapters to locate the ball in the right place. The Z-bar slips over this ball. The Z-bar has a ball in the other side which bolts to a FRAME bracket. This frame bracket mounts into two holes behind the steering box. The holes are found in the fender well. The bolts come up thru the frame into the welded nuts on the frame bracket.

Here are some old GM part numbers.
3849309 One piece bell housing ( munice ) Nova only
3788401 Clutch fork for Bell housing
3792365 Frame bracket ( to mount Z-bar )
3898610 Ball Stud ( for frame bracket )
3792909 Z-bar
3866568 Ball Stud ( for Block )
3790015 Clutch Adjusting ROD
3790902 Clutch Fork adjusting Rod
This frame bracket is for sale on E-bay. TOO much money for it. But this shows a good picture.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/66-N....c0.m245&_trkparms=72:727|65:12|39:1|240:1318.

B
Added Clutch Fork adjusting Rod.

Dave
67 Nova Boy

#9 ·
zbar install

This is easiest ! The chevy2only zbar works perfectly..no mods necessary. If you use Fram filter #DG2870A you will not have to remove the zbar to change it! First remove drivers side tire.Remove the two bolts holding the bracket to the body [inside the wheelwell] and remove the "body" zbar bracket .As far as keeping that felt gasket in place ...bolt the zbar together [to the piece that goes to the body], put zbar and bracket loosely in place ,install conversion bracket into zbar then install to block and then bolt the bracket to the body. If you do it this way it almost falls into place and the nut that tightens the zbar to the body bracket will already be tight [its really hard to get at later].

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.