Chevy Nova Forum banner

sb exhaust

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Mike Goble 
#1 · (Edited)
Somebody was telling me since I have 3" collectors on my headers that if I go with a 2.5" pipe it will kill some power. Makes sence, he stated to run a 3" x pipe and then after that I can go to 2.5" piping. Does this sound like overkill for a 400hp engine?

#5 ·
In practice, the crossover tubing is kept the same size as the collector up to the crossover, the crossover should be located after the transmission and cross member have been cleared.

http://www.drgas.com/articles/art_syncronicity.php

The gas in the collector is very hot and pulsating. Summarily reducing the tube size by 30% at the end of the collector will create waves in the system and certainly affect the performance. This is the reason I use a 2-1/2" collector, you get rid of the reflected waves.

#6 · (Edited)
thanks, so I guess I was getting pretty good advice. It's pretty hard to find a header with a 2.5" collector. For those of you, please note I had some temp 2.5" straight pipe with mufflers. One side was hitting the cross member so I put 2.25". Engine is down and no where near as responsive. Be interested to see the difference when I go with a 3" x pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.