Chevy Nova Forum banner

Big block power steering pump

6K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Denis the Menace 
#1 ·
What other years and engine combos would use the same power steering pump as a 69 BB car?

#2 ·
Assuming its the traditional saginaw type pump...
The most common ones you'd find in a yard would be anything gm with a V8 (and probably even a v6) from the 70's and 80's...

FWIW, I picked a remanufactured one up for my bro-in-law a few months back for a little over $40 from a local parts store...they're pretty cheap--but you'll still need a pulley.

#3 ·
I could be wrong, but I think the power steering pump for a BBC is different than the pump on a small block.

I'm going to change the title of this thread so it will get the attention of the BBC guys, so you can get a better answer.

randy

#4 ·
camaro 67/68, corvette 66/72 ( I don't remember if vette switch to the long pump after 68 purdy sure they didn't.), impala, truck don't know the years seen a many short water pump bbc trucks. if your looking for correct then I don't know, fitments?, any of these should do.

#7 ·
The only issue I had with the p/s pump when I did my BB transplant was the small tube coming out the back of the pump (return hose)........I think the correct big block pump should have the tube lower towards bottom of pump.....mine was a a bit higher on the back which didn't give me a lot of room for adjustment (it hits on the block) but it works.

#8 ·
Well, I went and picked up what was supposed to be a BB power steering pump for a 69 yesterday at kragans. I noticed right off that the return line fitting faces to the front. It comes out the back and curves around with the opening at the front. This line also will not let the adjustment bracket bolt to the pump as it interferes with the bracket. Does anybody have pictures of the pump and brackets for a bb that they are using. If you had them off the car and disassembled that would be even better. I can't imagine having the return line facing to the front of the car but who knows. Or even better if someone has a part # from Kragen/autozone that they know works. The part # I got at Kragen was 2-6000.

#10 ·
Well after a trip to Kragen today It looks like what I need is the pump listed for 68 Chevy 2 or 68/69 camaro with 396. Per their picture the return line on this pump is in the middle of the back and points straight down which would work. I will know Tuesday as they had to order it. It's things like this that make you mad and make you think at the same time. That's why I like this hobby. It makes me think.

#15 ·
I have a question to add to this. I am converting from a 6cyl to a BB also and would like to know how you all ran your PS lines with headers (not alot of room). Pics would be great....americangraffiti your pics are good for the pump side but were do they run to get to the box???

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.