Chevy Nova Forum banner

383, 400 or 454

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  ALLT4 
#1 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the help. I am ready to start building my first engine for my 78 Nova. I have a running 350 from 1975 in it with an single plane intake and Holley 750 carb. ( bought it that way ) I also picked up a 4 bolt main long block that was in a Z28 it has a GM camel hump heads (1.94 intake ) stock crank and a 221/221 @.050, .447/447 and 114 degrees LCA, stock rods and stock pistons. I have a friend of the family with a 454 sitting in his garage with my name on it for $400 bucks. But will the cost of a camshaft and rebuilding the heads, carb, intake, radiator etc drive the price really high as opposed to sticking to stroking a small block? Last I see a 400ci short block for sale for $200. The owner says it has never been dissasembled and has no ridge from the pistons. The heads are for sale seperately also. Could I use the camel hump heads from my spare Z28 motor and carb from running 350 on the 400 block? Completely rebuild the Z28 block into a 383 with a kit from Summit? Buy the 400 short block and rebuild it or use the crank for the 383? What would be the best choice for a low compression ratio, low cost, high torque motor. The 454 is from 75 i think also. I think I looked up the GM code a while back and it was a low horsepower motor. I want a street rod, no track eta's for me. Thanks

#2 ·
Interesting dilemma to be in. If you are not chasing ETs, then I would think the 454 would be the way to go. You can build a big block to pull stumps if you want, the 383 is going to be a high winding powerhouse, as is a 400 if it is bored. It all depends on what you want the car to do. No one knows that but you. If you had the money I would buy both the 454 and the 400, build the 454 for now and play with it. When you are ready to race, build a 406-415" small block that will scream.

Hope this helps.

Tiny

#4 ·
Build the big block especially if it has all the pulleys, brackets, etc...
It will provide the best torque and machining costs will be about the same. What heads are on it? Easy 450-500hp build if it has 781 or 049 heads.

2nd choice would be the 400 small block as it will make more torque on low octane than the 383 at equal comp ratios and will cost less in the long run if the stock crank and rods are reusable.

It sounds like you are good at scoring deals!

#5 ·
So can I use the camel hump small block heads on a 400? if so, I would be satisfied with just freshening up the 400 short block with a new cam and bearings/gaskets etc and using that to drive around. All I want is a steetable car that sounds great and burns good rubber. I really dont want to spend more than $2000 on parts. I will be using a 4 speed manual tranny and a limited slip diff rear with around 3.08:1 gear. I really just want to commit to an engine build that will give me the best torque for my budget.

Yea, i am a bargain shopper. I got the Z28 engine and TH350 for $75 dollars. The guy wasnt into engines and it was his ex roommates' stuff that didnt get it out of his basement. The owner lied to me and said it was a 700R tranny, now i got all his parts.

#7 ·
So can I use the camel hump small block heads on a 400?

So to answer your question yes you can use the camel hump as long as they have all the accessory holes you need or you can drill them into the head. Also a VERY important thing to do is drill the steam holes in the holes in the proper location and angle. I know the guy that built my eng. has not put the steam holes in heads on street motors and they gottin away with it with no problems. Safe bet would be to put them (steam holes) in the heads.

#9 ·
K.I.S.S. For me the answer would be easy. 383 even though they're starting to be as common as a regular 350 there's a reason. It's proven motor time after time. Parts are plentiful and you dan't have worry about those steam holes and heat issues with a 400 block.

Skip the BB because of cost and weight penalties. Plus all the fitment issues like motor mounts, brackets, headers and all that. Back to the kiss theory sort of.

If you already have a 4 bolt main SB take it to a machine shop, have it clearanced for the 383 crank and build away. Take your pick of 383 kits out there. Get the torque of of a BB without the weight penalties. Put the money you would have spent on the 400 or 454 into (better)parts for something you already have as opposed to starting from ground zero.

JMHO :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.