Chevy Nova Forum banner

400 transmission in 1st gen swap

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Pwrtrip75 
#1 ·
I have a 62 wagon and want to replace my glide with a 400 turbo. Does anyone have any info on a crossmember that will work for this application?

#2 ·
crossmember

chevy-2 only sells one that works ok. put one in my 67' and the only problem i had was that it tips the motor back towards the fire wall enough to require exhaust mods. with a th-350 and stock x-member i could fit a hei dist. now there isn't enough room. kw

#3 ·
Well I found that I will have to have a crossmeber fabricated to work. The glide crossmember isn't even close and the 400 crossmember for 68-74 won't work either. The wagon is going to the shop to have the ford 9" rear installed and will have the rest done there. All this to handle the new 383 set up. All ready getting anxious. Thanks for the help

#9 ·
Unless you plan to make outrageous power and really abuse it, why not go with a TH 350.
I always wonder why people with less than 700-800hp use a truck and bus tranny. The power you lose through one is crazy. Unless you spend a million dollars on all lightened internals. But I have no idea how much power everyones making so :eek:

#5 ·
The company doing the rear set up has a cross member coming that is going to work with the 400. Motor is in and hope to have it running by this weekend just to make sure all is ok and then its off to the shop. Took the glide out and found out its was fried .

#6 ·
TH400 Crossmember in Gen I

Sorry for hijacking your tread:devil:...but I have the same issue!:eek: I have a 65 BBC and I just traded some work for a TH400. I'm looking for a crossmember. Anyone out there using Chevy2's crossmember? Any other manufactures making this crossmember?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.