Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 piece vs 2 piece rear main seal

38K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  sbc1320 
#1 ·
Wondering what's the difference between the two? How can I tell what I have? Running a GM 350. I'm planning to switch out my rear sump oil pan to a front sump. Thanks!

#7 ·
#6 ·
I dont think there is a one piece front sump pan available so pray for a 2 piece motor.

This is how to tell, a 1 piece motor has a completely round flange and the seal rides on the perimiter of the flange. A 2 piece seals on the rear bearing journal and the flange is not completely round unless you have a pre 68 small journal motor.

#9 ·
Front sump 1pc rear main seal pans are indeed available. Chevy2only sells them, and I'm other large Nova parts vendors carry them too.

The biggest difference I found, when I accidentally got shipped a 2pc pan instead of a 1pc seal pan was that the rear seal area was much larger in area than the 2pc, so there was a bigger cutout in the rear of the pan where it goes around the rear crank flange.

#10 ·
Yeah, I got schooled:D, they made none of that stuff 10-15 years ago when all I did was work on my Nova's. People are soo lucky now with all the parts available.

When I wanted parts i had two choices, the junk-yard or Novajoe:yes:

I remember someone welding the top half of a one piece pan to the bottom half of a front sump pan to drop in a vortec motor:eek: Lotta work back then, now the pan is 80 bucks.

#8 ·
If thats the generic low HP replacement motor then it is a 2 piece rear seal, at least the one i bought new was a few years ago. They also have a dipstick pad on both sides but the pan will seal with enough silicone:)

Do an internet search with that part number, it will come up and probably answer your questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.