Chevy Nova Forum banner

Saginaw bell housing

9K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  canadian acadian 
#1 ·
I'm trying to mate a 4 speed Saginaw ( I know it's not a muncie ) to a 350 with a 168 tooth flywheel but I don't have a bell housing. Anyone know what bone yard vehicle (make & model) has a compatible bell housing? I've read i may need a 621 bell housing? Thx everyone
Alberta Newbie

#2 ·
The 621 only fits 68 and up. I don't believe you'll find a bellhousing to fit a 168 tooth in the first generation Nova like you have.

Is there some reason you can't use the small starter, flywheel and bellhousing?

#4 ·
3788383 GM Housing

Carl & Dealer Deuce, nice to have support from fellow members like you guys. I'm still learning and was suprized to hear that I could use the smaller bell. I have everything from the straight 6 swap out including the 3788383 bell housing and 153 tooth flywheel. When I compareed the bolt pattern for the 168 tooth on my '81 350 crate engine it doesn't match the 153 tooth bolt pattern. I just assumed I had to go to a V8 bell housing. I just got the Saginaw 4 sp. and didn't even bother to see if it mated to the 3788383 bell housing. Sure would be nice if it did! What does it take to have my 153 tooth fit to the 350? Is this a feesible option without incurring other install problems along the way? sorry for all the questions. I'd rather not have to cut & fab up too much of the tunnel if possible. My end objective is a weekend cruzer nothing heavy duty like strip racing. Thx guys for helping me thru my build. This site is to me what a walking stick is to a blind man! Thx everyone.

#5 ·
3788383 bell housing pics

This is my 1st time posting pic's so I hope i got it right? Hopefully they will shed light on what I can do to get my 4 spd saginaw hooked to my 350. BTW, i tried fitting the 4 spd tranny to my old 3788383 3 spd saginaw bell housing but no go! Hole is about 1/4" too small. Now what?

THX guys!

#6 ·
The 153 tooth manual flywheel can be used on 194, 230, 250 6 cyl as well as 267, 283, 305, 307, 327, 350 small blocks (prior to 1986) and 396, 427 big blocks. Lots of interchange there, no problem. As you are finding though, you either need to buy the 3849309 bellhousing or have your's machined to the larger opening for your Saginaw.

Do you have all the clutch pedals, linkage etc? If not,the best thing to do is find a complete 64-67 Nova or Acadian with a manual trans (has correct 309 bellhousing) and take everything from it. The one snag is the clutch pedal needs to be 66 or older for your car.

#8 ·
bell housing and flywheel

Dave, that flywheel should bolt right up to your 350 make sure you buy new
flywheel attaching bolts the are hardend, should be able to purchase them
from a good parts supplier. second you will have to hunt down a 309 bell
housing for this set up or go aftermarket with a fancy blow proof type
I am positive a member on this site has a spare 309 housing kicking around.
if you have more than 25 posts you can post in the wanted add section.
also if you are planing use that 350 you will need to change oil pan,pump
and pickup if you are going to put it in a stock front end. linkage for v-8
pretty straight forward all parts are in reproduction you will also need
cross shaft adapter for 350 block, lots parts to locate for swap.

#10 ·
..........also if you are planing use that 350 you will need to change oil pan, pump and pickup if you are going to put it in a stock front end. ..............
You will need buy the Distributor oil pump drive shaft. It is shorter(for Chevy II/Nova front sump pans only) than a stock 350 one.

You will need to grind on the oil pump and the number eight(8) rod nut for clearance for the 350.

You will need to dimpel the oil pan for rod clearance for the 350.

Bryan

#17 ·
4 speed Saginaw bell housing

Thanks Carl & Dealer D and everyone else. Really appreciate the pic's DD! I do have the complete clutch pedals and linkage from 3 on the tree. Carl, i assume this means I don't need the 66 or newer stuff you mentioned, right? Also, the 4 speed came with all 3 shifter rods and what looks like a shifter mounting plate bolted on the tranny? Not sure but will send pics soon. So, back to the issue. If I understand correctly I can utilize the 153 but need a 309 bell and new flywheel bolts for the 153 tooth, correct? I'll try the member section for a 309. Anyone have an idea what it cost to machine a 383 to a 309?

My original plan for the front end was a CPP mini front suspension kit & a front sump conversion kit but it looks like by the time you do that + a front brake disc its about $1,500++. I'm tryin to keep to a budget but everyone knows how that goes, eh :yes: So i thought maybe I'd break the piggy bank and go for a bolt up kit; TCI, Mustang II, Heidts??? Not sure which is a better deal? Feel free anyone to chime in on which bolt up kit or mini suspension kit they liked or you think is good value for a modest budget build. Sure appreciate all the help guys.
Thx a ton
Newbie Dave

#18 ·
As long as your pedals are not from a 67 you are fine. Pedals and linkage work from 62-66 for you, bellhousing is a 309 from 64-67.

Yes to the rest of the first paragraph, the best way is a 309 bellhousing but machining your's would work too.

#19 ·
...........the best way is a 309 bellhousing but machining your's would work too.
Years ago I had one of the six(6) bellhousings Fly cut to make the hole large enough for a Muncie four speed.

I sold a 309 bellhousing for $100. Because you keep talking about staying on buget it might be cheaper to have your bellhousing cut.

One more thing. After you bolt on the flywheel you might want to bolt the starter on the block and check to see if it will engage the flywheel.

Bryan

#21 ·
Here's one. Buy it quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-63-64-...t=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Of course for that cost I'd be thinking about about a steel scattershield for a Chevy II from Lakewood. Only $75 bucks more and you could run your 168 tooth flywheel if you want.

I wouldn't machine the 6 cylinder piece. Just throwing good money at an inferior part.

Any Chevy bellhousing will bolt up to your engine. You just need to match your flywheel to your starter and bellhousing. The 309 just has the clutch fork opening clocked to clear the floor pan on the Chevy II. All the others will create clearance issues

#29 ·
Here's one. Buy it quick.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-63-64-...t=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Of course for that cost I'd be thinking about about a steel scattershield for a Chevy II from Lakewood. Only $75 bucks more and you could run your 168 tooth flywheel if you want.

I wouldn't machine the 6 cylinder piece. Just throwing good money at an inferior part.

Any Chevy bellhousing will bolt up to your engine. You just need to match your flywheel to your starter and bellhousing. The 309 just has the clutch fork opening clocked to clear the floor pan on the Chevy II. All the others will create clearance issues
does anyone know for certian if the 15050 scattershield will fit the 168 tooth flywheel?

#27 ·
When i switched from a 194 to a 250 and a Muncie 4 speed I had to get a different flywheel because the one from the 194 uses a 9.28 inch clutch disc which I couldnt find at any local parts stores
the one that I bought said it was for a 194 and it was a 10 inch clutch so I had to get a flywheel for a 283 which bolted right on and used a 10 inch clutch
I found all of this out after I had my 194 flywheel resurfaced
The 194 flywheel fit on the 250 same bolt pattern

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.