Chevy Nova Forum banner

smackvay - 1972 nova

22K views 104 replies 18 participants last post by  smackvay 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok so I purchased my first real hot rod other than the one me and my dad built when I was kid and I sold it right after high school(BIG mistake)
so im going to keep this thread updated with what little or big things I will be doing to the car. A lot of you guys have done some amazing rebuilds and my thread will not be NEAR as interesting as those threads but at least I will have a place to keep track.

So far I bought the car and immediately swapped the drums on front out for this disc brake kit:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/321456447035?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
all the parts and pieces went in smooth without issues, also replaced ball joints while I was in there. Ive also added all new shocks all around, new copper header gaskets, 2 new front tires, ss trim plate for rear and some new gauges for the interior(the aftermarket 3 gauge pod)

Year: 1972
Engine: 400 bored out to a 406(what I was told working on tracking down builder)
Transmission: 350 turbo
Rear End: 10 bolt
Exhaust: flowmasters(will be changing soon)

here is the car as of today and moving forward I will add pics of each addition as I do have a lot of plans. Its not much but its mine and I drive it everywhere and my kids LOVE to go to their baseball games in it!!!:D

thanks for the look

See less See more
#7 ·
So my new exhaust arrived today and after taking old stuff off guess what I have a weird set of headers that has different collectors. SO I guess that gives me a reason to get these
I did make a pass on the main road open headers and ive never driven/rode in a drag car but between the car running strong(which is normal) and the crazy loud noise it was freaking awesome:devil::yes::cool::D:eek::turn:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Raci...r:1972|Model:Nova&hash=item2c8c027d67&vxp=mtr
im going to add some pics when both of these new parts get here

does anyone have advice on "breaking them in" or is that an old wise tale?

#10 ·
What did you not like about the Flowmasters?
Oh I like them just not the way they were hacked and welded together and not put on the car correct. They ran them right in front of rear axle and stopped 6 inches in front of them so my axle/gas tank shock/fuel pump and even up the back of the car has exhaust soot. I went to a few local shops and they all wanted 150-200 to make 2-3 ft tailpipes so I just ordered the whole complete setup from Summit for $209 dlvd and if I don't like the mufflers I will order some sort of flowmasters and replace them.

#16 ·
Turns out I actually have a mini starter on my motor so I adjusted the mount and she fit like a glove. I had to cut one tube off of drivers side in order to get it out(the old one). BOTH new ones slid in very easy from the top and was very easy to install. The car sounds night and day different than the old headers which turns out were beat more than 40% shut on 3 tubes on drivers side. Only thing that needed a tiny trim was the corner of bracket on the starter. now for the pictures

#17 ·
Just an update:
I have purchased AND installed this complete 2.5" exhaust from summit-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Raci...r:1972|Model:Nova&hash=item2c8ccd8c72&vxp=mtr

very pleased with sound and quality and most of all the price

also wet sanded and buffed the whole car out fri and sat and im kind of shocked at how nice it turned out

Went on a cruise last night and drove around 120 miles which was fun:turn:

next project/projects will be rearend gear set, vinyl top, and pulling the motor on thanksgiving weekend to freshen it up and actually figure out what it is. As of now all I know is double hump heads and a 406 cu inch motor
car has bottle mounts I trunk and the lines are still ran to front of car so that has me wondering a bit

#18 ·
ill be ordering the rearend gear set within the next few days
think im going to go with a 3.38 or a 3.23 leaning toward the 3.38

have a date set on thanksgiving weekend to pull the motor and have it freshened up

hopefully all of this goes well as im doing all of this by myself:eek:

#19 ·
got a few new pieces today:devil:

new timing cover
3.42 ring and pinion
New ring and pinion install kit
rear end cover and gasket

that's it until the motor is pulled and put back in(thanksgiving weekend) unless I can find a nice set of heads in canton at the swap meet

#24 ·
Got some new fancy spark plugs
Accell 8mm plug wires
distributer cap and rotor kit
rear end cover with the pins that go back to hold the rear end
1 chamber flowmasters that will fit in the exact place as the current mufflers:devil:
PATIENTLY waiting to pull motor thanksgiving weekend

found another 70 nova and im going to look at it this weekend

Also picked up a 39,000 2 owner documented 1974 vega wagon that runs and drives and parked it in the building for a rainy day or would make GREAT trading material

#25 ·
just an update :
The plugs/wires/distributer cap/rotor button were all installed

BUT now I actually got the motor pulled out last night and it will be dropped off at the motor shop Monday morning:yes::yes::yes:

I would provide pics of the engine bay but it is a nasty mess of wiring that will be fixed while the motor is out
im also going to attempt to put in one of those new ac delete blower motor panels so I can still have a heater without having to flip the heater core and all of that

#27 ·
Just an update on what I found on tear down or my motor
It is a 400 standard bore late 70's high nickel block
2 bolt main
2.02 closed chamber double hump heads
keith black flat top pistons
stock rods, crank, timing chain
stock oil pump
looks pretty good inside other than the rings are SHOT due to nitrous from previous owner
here is a few pics:

as for what is changing:
going to a scat crankshaft
double roller timing chain
I have a comp cam that is in motor that im going to use again
im going with aluminum heads and will purchase a set today as im on a timeline I have 2 different sets picked out
high flow oil pump
fel pro gaskets
moly rings
still trying to locate an intake for my application

#29 ·
i went with a 3.42 gear ratio
the way it is parked in my tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny tiny 1 car garage i cant get to the rear end of the car to attempt to change it. Im in no hurry as long as it is back to gether by march i will be in good shape
my buddy told me to get it taken apart and he will help me put it back together
this is my first time swapping a motor and my motor guy actually let me take it all the way apart and walked me thru it so props to him for his patience

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.