Chevy Nova Forum banner

73 hatch girls project-question on trim removal

4K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  plumrat 
#1 ·
Before we start taking any trim pieces off, we would like to know how to do it without damaging anything. Talking about trim around windshield, side windows, etc.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Greetings,

Most of your auto parts places sell a fork-like tool that is specificially made for removing trim...I'd buy one of those and go to town! Just take your time and it'll all come off without any problems.

Jason

#3 ·
Thanks Jason, will go and get one. Hopefully instructions are included, don't want to mess up good parts.
The girls

#4 ·
Got the tool, works great for windshield trim. Looks like we would need other tools to remove window seal.
The girls

#5 ·
dansker said:
Got the tool, works great for windshield trim. Looks like we would need other tools to remove window seal.
The girls
Greetings,

The trim around the quarter window is kinda strange...I'll try to describe how it comes off. On the B-pillar...you literally pull the trim with your hands (your fingers end up sitting on the quarter window glass) toward the front of your car. After that, you have to take out the window channel to access the screws that hold the trim across the top and side of the quarter window. Take out those 2 or 3 screws (been awhile, can't remember exactly) and the trim falls off.

Jason

#6 ·
ok, we have one piece on the drivers side rear window we can try on. It has to be replaced. Everything else looks good and don't want to mess them up.
The girls.
P.S. We hope to get some pics up soon

#7 ·
When you guys oops gals get that first piece off take a minute to look at it and it may assist in understanding the way the trim is held on as well as be helpful down the road.Try to start with the peice that already need repair or replacing as you are it hurts less when you mess them up.:rolleyes:

Keep posten and good luck Paul:) :)

#8 ·
As far as the windshield seal it needs to be cut out with either a cold knife or with windshield wire, I have an auto glass shop in the central coast of Ca. and you might consider having a local auto glass pull the glass and tell you what you need to do to prep it for the re-installation, you may want to call a few shops and find one that works on the older cars because alot of the big chains have inexperianced installers that are production techs that really don't know much about the classic cars and sometimes damage parts by not knowing the procedure to remove mouldings and trim, and I think its great that you are doing this with your daughters, I bought a 71 for my 12 year old daughter and she is a great help when we work on it, but she still wants mine...good luck and have fun

#9 ·
Haven't pulled front windshield yet. It has marks from the wipers and will be replaced. Not too worried bout it though if it gets broken, will have professional install new one. Just concerned about the trim around the side windows, felt on bottom etc.
Dann

#10 ·
Window Removal

Dann, like drglass said, the windshield is glued in with a urethane tape, (looks like a smooth black rope about 3/8" dia when new). This needs to be cut to get the winshield out. They make a tool for this also that has an aluminum handle with annother handle on a short cable that you use to pull the tool along once it starts cutting. A very sharp double edge blade that is bent 90 degrees mounts in the first handle. I think I paid about $20-$25 for mine at an auto paint store. You will need it for the hatch glass also. You can also use a short lenth of small steel cable that you work back and forth like a saw after making a hole through the urethane tape with a pointed scribe or similar tool. Start with the windshield since you don't care if it gets damaged. There should be a couple of small rubber spacer blocks at the bottom to help locate the new glass. Save these for reinstallation. Just my two cents, and you have probably thought of this already, but I would remove all the glass and strip, primer and paint these areas along with the rest of the body. Install new or old glass after the car is painted. Sounds like a fun project.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.