Chevy Nova Forum banner

Lost Drag Strip

14K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  nova_rod 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Does anybody know the exact location (directions) to US30 Dragway? I'm stuck in Wisconsin for another 7-10 days yet, but will be going right by there on my way home. It would be cool to stop and see if it's still there and get some personal pics if possible.

That's Like PID, (Pittsburgh International Dragway), it's still there, the strip is intact, but it's on coal company property, never to reopen.

#8 ·
Being a racing-crazed state, Indiana was not immune to this, and so a famous track was open by 1957, perhaps as early as 1954, in what is now Hobart, Indiana, just east of I-65 on the north side of US 30. Closed in 1984, the US 30 Drag Strip was top entertainment for scores of Northwest Indiana and Chicago residents, but now sits overgrown and broken down.

#6 ·
Went to a Mr. Chevrolet Funny Car meet there in about 1971 or so with my Dad, brother, and brother in law. Raced there a few times after that. We have several around here that are gone. One Alton Il is a trailor park or was last time I checked. Another has 4 houses sitting around it(Pacific MO) and another in St. Gen, MO is a golf course. Oh yea and the one in Pevely MO is used for parking for the round track. Boy I wish we had em all back.

#16 ·
I live about 15 min from that track, for awhile there was a thing going around to re-open it but nothing came from it. People say it would be to loud as there is a subdivision RIGHT next to it. but i have a buddy that lives there and there are a lot of nice drag car in that subdivision. I have been over there a couple times and the old guy that lives there almost never leaves, but his pretty cool if you knock and talk to him, if you just sneak on and do passes you'll get the cops called on you but there are many ways out... not that i would know.

Directions, It's really east to find, Go down US30 till you hit the stoplight at clay street turn North and it like 30 seconds down on you left hand side. you can not see if from 30 anymore, so don't look for it.

#22 ·
I can't seem to find out anything about the old Nashville drag strip on the internet. I noticed it on the side of I40 about ten years ago, all you could see was the track covered in weeds and the old stands. Lots of older guys talked about the track and they said they thought it was called riverside dragway because it is close to the cumberland river. I have always wanted to stop and look at it because there was a road that went up to it. I'll try to free up some time this week or this weekend to go to it and get some pics. I looked up the area on mapquest and it looks like an entrance to a neighborhood is next to it or on top of it. But its bothering the heck out of me now and I will have to make the trip down to see if it is still there. I will post what I find in the next couple of days.

#25 ·
Well, I found the Nashville track on google earth and it is still there. Went down to see it in person but the dirt/gravel road to it is posted No Trespassing. From the interstate it is hard to see because it is so grown up with weeds and trees. It is easier to see in the winter. From the satelite pictures you can see the bleachers, the track and a small tower building that I guess is the announcers booth. I made a mistake about the river it is next to, its not the cumberland it is the harpeth. You have to drive through the small harpeth river state park to get to the access road to the strip. This is at the end of the Newsom Station Rd. I didn't want to trespass on state park property, but I might just have to because I want to see this track up close.

#27 ·

US60 in Hardinsburg Kentucky.
Been closed for 1.5 years because the owner sold it to a couple of guys that couldn't really make the payments, so the original owner got a court order to shut it down until the problem is resloved which is not until at least april of 2009.
The longer it goes the worse the situation is getting.
This was all caused by the OSCA races and now every racer suffers because of those "big money cars" wanting to win $500!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.