Tuning - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Body, Chassis and Mechanical > Drivetrain & Performance > LSx Forum

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 19th-April-2017, 03:28 PM   #1
duggravs
(OP)

Title: Nova Senior Member
Nova(s): 63 wagon 8 seater
Tuning

I got my ecu flashed from lt1swap for my lq4. So my question is. Is that tune OK to drive the car or do I need to get it tuned.
And what's better. buying a tuner like hp tuner or something similar or taking it to a shop to get the motor tuned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th-April-2017, 05:12 PM   #2
try2paz

Nova(s): 1967
I've always felt that a custom tune by a shop is much more refined over what you get with a hand held setup typically. That being said the self-learning systems have gotten really good that address 90% of the market typically.
1967 Nova, ZZ4, TH350, 12Bolt 3:90's.
Old 19th-April-2017, 06:08 PM   #3
duggravs
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by try2paz View Post
I've always felt that a custom tune by a shop is much more refined over what you get with a hand held setup typically. That being said the self-learning systems have gotten really good that address 90% of the market typically.

The self learning tuners. Can they be used on original gm ecu's or do i have to use a aftermarket ecu? Are they all universal? Meaning. I can use them for other types of engines or they only for LS?
Sorry if that's a dumb question. I don't know much about ls's but I'm learning as I go.

Old 19th-April-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
PileDriver

Title: Nova Newbie
Nova(s): 1968 Chevy II
In your case, pay for a prefessional tune and enjoy the car.

Then, dig in and learn to tune. It's a steep learning curve, I've been at it for 5 years and learn new things all the time.

HPTuners/stock ECU is extremely difficult. Complex tables with obscure numbers (g/sec, freq, etc) and lots of copy/paste data log and flash. Quite frankly, I hate using HPT and stock computers.

Aftermarket ECU's (especially Holley in my opinion) are really making tuning and EFI accessable for everyone. Two weeks ago I got my 68 Nova LS swap going, and it took 3 hours from zero wiring to driving down the road and tuning with Holley EFI. So easy...it's amazing. But it comes at a cost, however I believe it's actually a good value.
Old 20th-April-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
hawkeyejim

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 1966 canso sd 66Canso 4dr
To me, best thing is data log,with someone that knows what they are doing. No matter what system you are using. Get all your upgrades done first (cam,heads,injectors etc) so you don't have to pay twice. Take it to a pro and get tuned..you'd be amazed at what they find!!! My bud does this and found that my air intake temp was 130 deg causing my timing to retard,losing HP. Have been out 12x and keeps getting it better. If you don't have a bud that tunes for free...like I said. Get everything in order,data log fix any problems the data log again. May cost a couple of $$ but worth it in the long run.

Data logging

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 20th-April-2017, 10:52 AM   #6
rkupon1

Nova(s): 1965 2door post
Get tuned! A can or email tune is cool for start ups n trips to the dyno. But a good and competant tuner will work on everything in detail. Idle, tip in, driveability, fuel consumption/economy, and your individual cars abilities. If going outta the area, id even bring a full tank of fuel from my spot or area. It ll be more consistent
Old 20th-April-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
01m6ta

Nova(s): 1964 4 door 194c.i.
Need more info...is it a stock lq4? If it is then a stock tune will probably be fine. If you don't know what youre doing then take it to a shop and have it dyno tuned. If you want to learn, that's great but understand the risks involved. I personally am going to be running a microsquirt when I do my swap...much simpler than tuning a with a stock ecm and hp tuners from what I read. Good luck.
Old 20th-April-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
duggravs
(OP)

That's exactly what I was thinking. But I just wanted a second opinion.
OK. Based on my build. I coppied this build. Besides a carb. I pit a ls3 intake and a 92mm edelbrock tb. https://www.google.com/amp/www.hotro...der-heads/amp/
Will I need to get it tuned right away? Or will it be OK to drive around for a little bit. It's a fresh motor. And it still needs to be broken in.
Or can I brake it in on the dyno?
Old 20th-April-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
duggravs
(OP)

What's the going price for a tune? I went to a well known speed/dyno shop in Gardena CA. They told me 550 for a tune off the dyno. Is that around the going price?

Do anyone know or recommend any good tuners in the Los Angeles area

Last edited by duggravs; 20th-April-2017 at 11:22 AM.
Old 20th-April-2017, 11:44 AM   #10
Sreavis007

Nova(s): 72 Nova turbo ls in progr
550 sounds about right, but for that range I was quoted to include ECU flash and start up tune.... guy is coming to my shop/house to put in the base tune which is safe to drive on.
Old 20th-April-2017, 11:12 PM   #11
srfwagn

Nova(s): '65 Wagon
I went to RPM Motor Specialties in Santa Clarita. Went on a recommendation from Bill Kress (Klean63). Was pleased with the process and Austin who did the tune. I recommended this place to another member and he also had a good experience. Paid $350 for an in car road tune. Lots of open straights and hills there. Checking WOT was a kick. They also do dyno; not sure if price is same or not. This was almost 2 years ago so maybe pricing has changed.
Old 21st-April-2017, 12:25 AM   #12
duggravs
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by srfwagn View Post
I went to RPM Motor Specialties in Santa Clarita. Went on a recommendation from Bill Kress (Klean63). Was pleased with the process and Austin who did the tune. I recommended this place to another member and he also had a good experience. Paid $350 for an in car road tune. Lots of open straights and hills there. Checking WOT was a kick. They also do dyno; not sure if price is same or not. This was almost 2 years ago so maybe pricing has changed.
I've been seeing allot of good review for rpm on a Ls forum. So I'm between ether rpm or izzys performance in Gardena ca.
I've also read allot of good reviews about izzys and they're also like 15min away from my house. So I'm not sure where to go. everyone says that the person they went to is the best.
Old 21st-April-2017, 02:23 PM   #13
itslow

Nova(s): '66 LSx/TKO Project
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggravs View Post
I got my ecu flashed from lt1swap for my lq4. So my question is. Is that tune OK to drive the car or do I need to get it tuned.
And what's better. buying a tuner like hp tuner or something similar or taking it to a shop to get the motor tuned?
Well, that really depends upon what base tune they used in the PCM you were sent, what you've done to the engine to deviate from stock, and if they made any tweaks to the base tune to account for your changes.

In short, we need more information. The timing of the camshaft events, injector size, engine displacement, etc. all play a roll.
Old 21st-April-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
duggravs
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
Well, that really depends upon what base tune they used in the PCM you were sent, what you've done to the engine to deviate from stock, and if they made any tweaks to the base tune to account for your changes.

In short, we need more information. The timing of the camshaft events, injector size, engine displacement, etc. all play a roll.
Its a stick bottom end lq4. The only internal thing I change the cam to Comp Cams XR281HR, intake 228 0.571 112
PN 54-428-11, exhaust 230 0.573
Besides the cam and the 90mm throttle body. Everything else is stock. Including the stock ls3 injectors.
According to lt1tech. He only took off the vehicle Anti-Theft.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement