1972 Nova Holley Sniper EFI - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th-February-2017, 06:32 PM   #1
KevinM
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
1972 Nova Holley Sniper EFI

This has been a long time coming.

It's not running yet, but I'll update as progress is made. I finally got my kit last week, one month after ordering. I started installing over the weekend and ran into some roadblocks:
- Coolant temp sensor: I need an adapter. The plug I removed from the manifold is larger than the sensor.
- TV cable: Got the new brackets installed from the kit. I marked the cable where it meets the nut (black mark in photo) and more cable came out from the sheath after connecting to the linkage. I just now realize I should have marked it before I removed the carb, which is gone. I guess I'll have to check the line pressure before driving.

- Throttle cable: this is in a bind. The way it's routed from the firewall to linkage currently has a jog in it. Not sure how to fix this one yet.

- Fuel system: I need some adapter fittings and possibly more than that. I bought the kit w/ the fuel system, hoping to keep things simple. I'm not sure where to place the pump and the pre-filter. My fuel system is made up of AN lines and this kit came w/ Earl's Vapor Guard rubber line and OE style filters. I'm going to send my layout into Holley tech support and see what parts they recommend I proceed with.

I intend on welding the O2 bung, instead of using the clamp-on version. The kit doesn't come w/ a bung, so I ordered one which arrived today. I'll finish the fuel system layout tomorrow and then look into recoating my headers until I can get back to work on it this weekend. I have pics, but it looks like I need to get to making some other posts to get those to display...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th-February-2017, 09:37 PM   #2
KevinM
(OP)

Old 27th-February-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
The Nova

Title: Nova Senior Member
Smile

I see you still have the barbed fittings on the pump still. I swapped mine out with x2 these. How do you plan on connecting the new EFI hose to the stock tank?

Last edited by The Nova; 27th-February-2017 at 10:11 PM.

Old 27th-February-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
KevinM
(OP)

Thanks for posting a link to those. I imagine I will need those fittings and then some. Might be simpler to maintain the AN lines throughout and not use the vapor guard.

I have a fuel cell, so no stock tank.
Old 2nd-March-2017, 01:05 AM   #5
1977Chad350

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1978 1977 1976 1970
I have holley sniper on the way for my 4th gen. but ive done alot of research and have to say you will be fine using the barbed fitting as long as you use the efi hose clamps. Also i have my current pump mounted in the frame holes used for the rear exhaust hanger between the 1/4 panel and frame. but with the new efi pump im going to build a bracket to drop down from the trunk pan that way i can have the new pump as close and as low on the tank as possible. My buddy said he could tig a sump to the bottom of my tank and i think thats what im going to do since i have to wait a month to get my sniper in. I just hear to many stories about running pump dry on turns and hard take off. not a big problem with the carter pump for carb. i already soldered a return line in the sending unit so im just going to keep the return right their.

heres and idea of what kind of sum im thinking of using not sure what way im going to put it might be easier to facing the rear of the car

This is the kinds mount im thinking about
1970 Nova 2 door maybe another bbc

Last edited by 1977Chad350; 2nd-March-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Old 2nd-March-2017, 03:17 AM   #6
irocfast

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1969
The coolant temp sensor may go in the head. That's where most for EFI are mounted. Keep us updated, it's a pretty cool little kit!
Old 6th-March-2017, 12:36 PM   #7
KevinM
(OP)

Thanks for the replies guys. It's nice to hear alternate ways to proceed w/ things.

Regarding the coolant temp sensor, I would like to try it out in the cylinder head. I read about a guy's install that placed it at the back of the manifold and it read about 30* cooler than the front, where he tapped into for his analog gauge. That talked me out of placing it at the back of the manifold. I took the headers off to get recoated, so I can't check for clearance right now.

I did discover my pass. side header is rubbing against the power wire at the starter. That explains the hot start issues I had last summer. I'm not certain how I'll fix this yet.

I also think I have the fuel system figured out on the supply side. I had an "A Ha" moment last night and realized I over complicated it. That will be put to the test when the new fittings arrive.
Old 9th-March-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
1977Chad350

Title: Moderator
Nova(s): 1978 1977 1976 1970
I would replace the wire with a thicker ga wire and if you can get a starter brace. You can run the wire between the block and the start brace. their is also a tube that mounts to the back of the block that holds the starter wire to keep it off hot things like the exhaust. another think get some high temp spark plug wire wrap and put over the wire. not to bad happens very often once people replace an engine or starter and leave off the factory stuff.
1970 Nova 2 door maybe another bbc
Old 9th-March-2017, 03:14 PM   #9
KevinM
(OP)

Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have a part number or technical name for the tube I can look up?

The starter brace you recommend is more of an insurance item to stabilize the starter, right?
Old 9th-March-2017, 06:45 PM   #10
KevinM
(OP)

Got the fuel supply fittings in and they work. The -8 from the cell goes into a Y-block, then a -8 to -6 adapter, then the -6 to barb fitting.
Old 10th-March-2017, 12:27 PM   #11
69 Texas Nova

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 1969 2 Door
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Thanks for the recommendation. Do you have a part number or technical name for the tube I can look up?

The starter brace you recommend is more of an insurance item to stabilize the starter, right?
Found these on eBay..

Brace
http://www.ebay.com/itm/66-91-CHEVY-...-/140891344101

Tube
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1970-78-350-...3D112272866843

Or this clip may be easier..
http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/s...967-1968-1969/

Last edited by 69 Texas Nova; 10th-March-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10th-March-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
KevinM
(OP)

Thanks for the links.
Old 15th-March-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
GIZZ

Nova(s): '69 acadian
thanks for the heads-up, I was supposed to install one of these last night but something came up.

I should probably attempt the install during the day so I can make a parts run if needed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 29th-March-2017, 02:12 PM   #14
KevinM
(OP)

Nothing exciting to report but I made progress with wiring over the weekend. I had to extend the power wires back to the batter, since it's in the trunk. I took the back seat out, taped the wires to a fish line and pulled them through the trunk. To finish the wiring, I need to:
- buy loom
- depin unused wires from the harnesses
- terminate wires

I can do that this weekend to hopefully complete one milestone in this project. Here are some boring pics from the weekend, showing the routing.

Old 29th-March-2017, 02:32 PM   #15
63ssvert

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): '63 SS vert,
Long run on small gauge wire...voltage drop?

THE NOROOF SOCIETY
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sawzall Syndicate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement