1972 Nova Holley Sniper EFI - Page 2 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 3rd Generation Chevy II/Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th-March-2017, 03:15 PM   #16
KevinM
(OP)

Title: Nova Newbie
I didn't consider that. I'll ask Holley. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 31st-March-2017, 05:48 PM   #17
KevinM
(OP)

I contacted Holley today and told them I extended the power wires off the main harness back to the trunk-mounted battery w/ matching gauge wire. They said that's okay and that a voltage drop isn't a concern.
Old 1st-April-2017, 05:13 AM   #18
Electrix

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 65 Nova Wagon
i was reading this because I just ordered the Holley Sniper for my dad's truck. He wants to compare it with the Fitech that I just put on my 65 El Camino.

I was also at Classic Industries a couple days ago to pick up a starter brace. I got the G5111. Here's a link for their starter braces.
http://www.classicindustries.com/sho...tarter%20brace

Old 1st-April-2017, 07:40 AM   #19
KevinM
(OP)

Electrix, have your dad read through this thread: http://www.chevelles.com/forums/89-e...e=15&_k=8kwvr5
There's a lot of good info in there, although I'm sure your first hand experience with the Fi Tech will help him compare also. Thanks for the link, too.
Old 21st-April-2017, 02:11 AM   #20
Electrix

Title: Nova Junior Member
Nova(s): 65 Nova Wagon
I mounted the throttle body today. I'll be running timing control so I got an MSD distributor, locked out the advance, and installed the adjustable rotor.

Old 21st-April-2017, 06:18 AM   #21
KevinM
(OP)

Looks good. You'll probably finish yours way faster than me! I only had one day per week to work on it.

I hope to have it running this weekend. I broke a terminal stud on the fuel pump, so I had to buy a new one. I also needed new accelerator and throttle kick down cables so those set me back as well. Fingers crossed it actually starts and idles well.
Old 21st-April-2017, 12:26 PM   #22
GIZZ

Nova(s): '69 acadian
Last night we went out, started to hook up the fuel system, weld the o2 bung, plug it all in and connect the fan. Next thing I knew it was 3am and running! Flushed the fuel lines, primed it and it fired up first try. Runs smooth and I'm amazed at how quick the throttle response is.

Want to do some reading about initial startup and fuel learning before the first test drive.

For now just to get it mobile I'm running distributor vacuum advance and an msd 6al. Eventually I'd like to lock out the distributor and let the sniper handle timing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 9th-May-2017, 10:30 AM   #23
KevinM
(OP)

Good news: the car is running and driving very well!
Bad news: it cost me some money.

I went to fire it up a few weeks ago and noticed after I connected the battery, the display was on before I even inserted the key. I went through the start up procedure in the quick start manual to enter the engine information. After that, the fuel pump primes and then you're supposed to cycle the key. After turning the key off the first time, the pump was still running. I knew something was wrong so I cut the power at the cut off switch.

I had the switched 12V wire going to a terminal on the fuse box that provided constant power (obviously). This was the only free terminal I had on the box. I didn't know where else I could connect it to and the instructions didn't want you to splice it with another wire. So I took it somewhere to fix this issue since I'm electrically challenged. Here's what they did:
- the switched 12v lead was tied in with the switched lead from the MSD box. They used a weather pack connector to tie these together.
- the msd box was replaced as well. My tach shot up to 7k with the key on, so the sniper sensed that and thought it needed to start dumping fuel in right away. There's a procedure to reset this on the box, but after many attempts it was determined that the micro processor was bad. New box wa in and it wa up and running after ridding the cylinders of fuel, new plugs and an oil change of course.

I drove it yesterday and it drove better and better the longer I drove.
Pros so far:
- throttle response is incredible! It feels like a different car.
- turn the key and it's on. No more feathering the throttle on cold starts to get it to warm up. You have to let the pump prime before cranking, otherwise it won't start. This is per the instructions though and is only for 2.5 seconds.
- the garage or me doesn't smell like gas.

I'll drive it some more in the next few days when it's dry out and report back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement