New name, old member! - Page 3 - Chevy Nova Forum
Visit our sponsor, National Nostalgic Nova

Steve's Nova Site is an automotive enthusiast website dedicated to the 1962 - 1979 Chevrolet Nova, Chevy II and Acadian automobiles. We work together to preserve, restore, drive, show, race and provide fellowship for these classic cars. This is one of the best places to find information about parts, rebuilding, restoration and racing. This website is not affiliated with GM, General Motors or Chevrolet in any capacity.

Go Back   Chevy Nova Forum > Non-Technical > 4th Generation Nova's

StevesNovaSite.com is the premier Chevrolet Nova Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st-April-2017, 12:18 AM   #31
LSxBody
(OP)

Title: Nova Junior Member
New name, old member!

Well, I decided to go with the kyb gas-a-just shocks. I've never had a bad experience with them (the brand) , they're easy to find, and I paid $100 for fronts and rears after a mail in rebate through Summit. That's the same price as the oem spec kyb excel-g's. Reviews say these are stiffer than stock. Hopefully it will be a good compromise between stock and a nice performance shock. I did look at the bilsteins but I decided I could use the extra funds somewhere else and ordered a poly bushing set for my upper and lower control arms. Swapping my sumped fuel tank in from the nova soon then on to the front suspension. I have shocks and bushings, will order 2nd gen fbody eibach front springs and moog upper and lower ball joints. Then it will be waiting for time to work on the car as I spend too much time at work I'm taking vacation next month in which I plan to do the motor and trans swap. We shall see if I can stay on track.

Last edited by LSxBody; 21st-April-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st-April-2017, 08:03 PM   #32
LSxBody
(OP)

Wasn't happy with the rear bumper tuck, I felt like it didn't get the body line where the filler panel should be. Originally I decompressed the bumper shocks for the tuck, now I've removed them, drilled new mounting holes allowing it to tuck closer to the car and up as well. Much happier!
My nova's untucked rear bumper

Vs

The Buick

The inner bumper support is now flush with the rear body panel.
Old 21st-April-2017, 08:05 PM   #33
LSxBody
(OP)

Here is a pic of the rear bumper with the shock fully decompressed

Old 25th-April-2017, 02:04 AM   #34
LSxBody
(OP)

New name, old member!

New motor mounts came in. I bought OEM ones from summit and drilled the rivets to remove the stock rubber to replace with energy suspension motor mount inserts. I have the poly trans mount as well! Also upper and lower "Proforged" ball joints arrived. Very nice looking! Just need to order my Eibach springs and I'll start the front suspension rebuild. Motor mounts are being upgraded since I need to have the lower control arm out to get to the bolts!
Old 25th-April-2017, 03:01 AM   #35
LSxBody
(OP)

Engine mounting specs are the same as my nova. Reusing carshop inc 1" set back adapters, stock chevy clamshell mounts, ctsv oil pan. I expect everything to fit like a glove just like the nova unless the nova was an oddball or either subframe is tweaked. I hope it goes as smooth as just unbolting, swapping over, and rebolting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 25th-April-2017, 12:00 PM   #36
kimrobertson

Title: Nova Guru
Nova(s): 79 Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxBody View Post
Well, I decided to go with the kyb gas-a-just shocks. I've never had a bad experience with them (the brand) , they're easy to find, and I paid $100 for fronts and rears after a mail in rebate through Summit. That's the same price as the oem spec kyb excel-g's. Reviews say these are stiffer than stock. Hopefully it will be a good compromise between stock and a nice performance shock.
I have those shocks all around on mine. I think they are great for the money. Really like them.
Old 25th-April-2017, 06:19 PM   #37
LSxBody
(OP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimrobertson View Post
I have those shocks all around on mine. I think they are great for the money. Really like them.

Glad to hear from another member about them! I hope they work well!
Old 25th-April-2017, 08:09 PM   #38
LSxBody
(OP)

Poly motor mounts finished up! Hopefully tear down the front end this weekend to get the control arms to a shop to get the bushings pressed in!
Old 28th-April-2017, 01:11 AM   #39
LSxBody
(OP)

Alright! Just need to drain the oil, and turn the car around, and she's ready to give up the engine and trans! Everything is unbolted except the motor mounts and trans mounts which are hand tight! So will rent a hoist and hopefully pull them out mated together. Hopefully I can squeeze it past the core support. I plan to do the LS and 4l80e the same way. Hopefully it all works out! Once the engine is out I can start the front suspension rebuild. I don't plan to clean any part of the engine bay except the firewall and any new parts I put on. I want it to be as grandma car as possible.

Old 28th-April-2017, 08:35 PM   #40
LSxBody
(OP)

Got an extra hand today to get the Buick out of the garage and flip her around so now she's backed in and ready to pull the engine/trans tomorrow. I ordered the 2nd gen fbody eibach front springs and a lokar column to cable shift conversion today so hopefully they arrive soon! Cannot wait to get the front end down and get some weight back into the car

Old 29th-April-2017, 10:57 PM   #41
LSxBody
(OP)

Engine is out!! Hopefully get to the front suspension tear down tomorrow!

Old 2nd-May-2017, 10:07 PM   #42
LSxBody
(OP)

Cleaned up a little of the subframe and installed my poly motor mounts! The sbc holes are already in the subframe even though it had Buick v6 mounts so I just had to rebolt them in! I don't plan to clean too much in the engine bay so I can keep it looking as sleeper as possible but everywhere I spend time working I'd like to to be in like new condition. So once done, you will probably be able to see what new parts are on and what is original haha rusty and oil soaked. I have the front upper and lower control arms at the machine shop getting energy suspension bushings and proforged ball joints installed. My 2nd gen Fbody springs arrived as well! They are about 3" shorter than the factory springs which will help when I install! Just need to clean up the spindle and get all the caked up grease off of it and some nice paint, get the control arms back, and I can button up the front suspension. Then I plan to swap my disc brakes with the nova since I just put brand new calipers and new rotors on it. Will do new pads and turn the rotor! Onto the pics!

Old 3rd-May-2017, 09:05 PM   #43
LSxBody
(OP)

Slowly cleaning up the subframe in sections so I don't get sore or burnt out from it! Just wire wheel, primer, and paint. Metal is preserved well by a layer of dried in grease and dirt!
Old 6th-May-2017, 09:27 PM   #44
LSxBody
(OP)

Frame rails are done! Swapped in my Saginaw 525 manual steering box and pitman arm as well. The rest of the steering components will be bought later, using proforged brand products. I'm still waiting to get my control arms back from the shop with new bushings and ball joints so cleaning and painting while I wait. Passenger spindle is cleaned and painted, will do drivers soon then pulling calipers and rotors off the nova. Hopefully they will be done before the control arms arrive so I can get it all back together and on all fours.

Old 8th-May-2017, 02:34 AM   #45
LSxBody
(OP)

New name, old member!

Not much to report today. Finished harvesting brake parts off the Nova. Original plan was reuse my calipers and turn the rotors and put them on the skylark since I replaced them about 5 yrs ago. Calipers were brand new and I gave them the red ceramic paint treatment, some simple green and a brush made the red nice and vivid again! Surprised the paint actually held up nicely. Took the rotors to get turned and they were warped real bad. The manager thought they were put on the machine wrong but after multiple attempts, they were just garbage. So picked up new rotors and pads from the local parts store and new wheel bearings. I got the old brake stuff from the skylark swapped on the nova so it has brakes when I push it around the driveway. One spindle is cleaned up, still need to finish the other. Ordered all my proforged steering components. Idler arm, center link, inner and outer tie rods, billet tie rod adjusters, and new Dorman front brake lines. They will arrive sometime this week. Still waiting on control arms to get back so I can throw the suspension back together. My vacation starts in a week so that's when I hope to swap the ls motor and 4l80e. Hopefully things go smoothly.

Drivers spindle

Passenger spindle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement