Chevy Nova Forum banner

camshaft help?????

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  hotrodssnova 
#1 ·
ok i need help with picking out a good cam for my car.. its gonna be a street strip, mostly street, but street racing too. i want a sorta rough idle, not to rough, just to sound throaty and powerfull..lol this is going into a 1971 350 4bolt main, going into my 1966 nova... i think i found a cam- http://store.summitracing.com/defau...5+4294925232+4294924497+4294861490+4294887624 any help will be appreciated....thanx -Matt

#2 ·
voodoochikin04 said:
ok i need help with picking out a good cam for my car.. its gonna be a street strip, mostly street, but street racing too. i want a sorta rough idle, not to rough, just to sound throaty and powerfull..lol this is going into a 1971 350 4bolt main, going into my 1966 nova... i think i found a cam- http://store.summitracing.com/defau...5+4294925232+4294924497+4294861490+4294887624 any help will be appreciated....thanx -Matt
Well. if your engine is bone stock i wouldnt go over 220 @ .050 duration, like a comp 270 or isky 270 . This is a good beginner street /strip cam .A little lumpy too!

#3 ·
I would say you need to provide more information. The most critical, what gears are you planing to run? What stall speed? If I were building a street car that I wanted to be able to drive all weekend, not worry about high transmission temps, or the constrant howl from high gears, I would say run 355 -373 gears, a 2500-3000 stall, and comps extreme energy a 272 cam. Real example, I built a motor, 383, same cam, 3200 stall, 373 gears for an 88 S10. Nothing fancy, you could hear the cam, but it was not real radical. Ran 12 flats at the track yet the guy drove it to work 3 days a week without any problems.

The engine pulled nice to about 6200. Out on the street, no rice rocket, not even the 2002 Camaro or mustang could pull it.

Sound: After you get to 220, you will notice the chop, but heres more-
220-230 Slight chop
230-240 Nice chop, little rumpy
240-250 Solid chop start rumpity
250+ It barks
260 Is a plug wire off??

#5 ·
more info

hi i just wanted to give more info, the motor was just rebuilt less than 2000miles ago....about 4 months ago, used stock rods..had them resized...got hyperutectic pistons...flat top..dont remember the compression. new crankshaft, it was balanced up to 7000 rpms.....ummm new 74cc heads with z-28 springs. the cam i was looking at was a hydraulic flat tappet, advertised duration- 282/292, lift .465/.488 is that overkill ..or just not a good choice for street use?...ohh and for that lovely track answer....the only track we had around here just closed this last summer....i did race there...but block to block racing in the summer around here is pretty popular....and its fun... race for 3 seconds....good deal.. so more help would sure be apprieciated...thanks -Matt

#7 ·
That makes a big difference knowing you have a manual.
The engine I just pulled out of my car (original 4sp manual) has an ISKY 201281 It has 280 adv duration a 485 lift.
After I converted to Auto I used a stock stall and it would die off the line, with a manual you would be fine. If your looking for choppy idle sound this one has it, people would ask me all the time what size cam it was.
With this cam mine would run on 87 octane with flat top (4) valve relief pistons and 76cc heads, about 15 thousands in the hole. It would idle easily at 800rpm or even less.

#8 ·
thanks

hey thanks for all the info guys.....so when you said "this one has it" did you mean the cam i picked out..or the one you used? just not real sure on this.. oh and i have another question, i currently have an "rv" cam in it, its ok but is basically stock....will this bigger cam im getting make a power difference..or will i be dissapointed? -Matt

#9 ·
the choppy idle comes from 'overlap' of the exhaust closing and intake opening. the higher the duration, the more overlap you will have. this will affect low end response and build higher rpm power, therefor the need for a higher stall. since you have a manual, no prob. rev it and drop it. if you do town driving, it'll be a dog, if you punch it stop light to stoplight, very fun, maybe profitable:) .just remember to follow the manf recomended comp ratios. those higher durations need the comp cause there is les time to build it(comp). therfore the higher comp is needed.
my .02
eric

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.