Chevy Nova Forum banner

6.0 or 5.3 LSX?

6K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  Pwrtrip75 
#1 ·
I found a place where the price difference on the 6.0 and 5.3 LSX motors (with trans) are pretty much a non issue. I'm assuming that they both come with the 4L60E (or 65?) transmissions. This is going into my 67 wagon. Yes, I was asking about a 2004R in earlier threads, but I've been reading on these motors and it's almost a no-brainer on price. I want to fit these engines under a STOCK hood. I will most likely start out N/A then go turbo later on. Will both of these motors fit under my hood? And if the price is about the same, which is a smarter buy? I am looking for something slightly more peppy than my 250 inline 6...

#2 · (Edited)
6.0 is rated at 300 and the 5.3 is rated at 285. In your car they'll probably get the same Milage. They both have the same block (i think) so they'll fit fine under a stock hood. Just out of curiousity how much are you finding them for?

Edit: Saw it was for a '67. May have slight fitment issues with the tunnel and the accesories (a/c, etc) I'm not sure if they make adapter mounts but i'd imagine so...

#3 ·
i found a complete (trans and computer) 6.0 for $2500 and a 5.3 for 1750. do these have a separate oil cooler? i'm learning about this stuff and want to do a swap like this badly. i'd use a gto pan which makes room for my steering linkage. i think the trans would fit fine. as for motor mounts i can use one of the conversions from trans-dapt, no? i'd like as much info as i can. this place is a few miles from my house and i'd like to get everything set up so that in july or so i can just plug the motor in and go. probably a week or two of work and i'd like to be using the car.

#8 ·
You'll have to get the PCM reflashed, Hook up New fuel delivery, New cooling and fans (I would go full electric), engine mounts, and tranny crossmember, new or resized drive shaft. Those are the basics. Then you have random stuff like Relays for all the new electric stuff you'll be running. I would definately upgrade brakes cause you're gonna love that gas pedal!

Go to LS1tech.com and check out the swaps section. Tons of information!

I also agree with the 5.3 if you plan on going turbo. Holy cheese and rice that thing will move!

#4 ·
Both engines are identical dimension wise. I think the stroke in them is the same too. The bore is the difference. Not aware of any external oil coolers, maybe aftermarket.
Theres 2 different 6.0's the LQ4 and the LQ9 one has lower compression and less HP. If your going turbo and dont want to rebuild I would go with the 5.3L You can bolt the 6.0L heads right on it and drop the compression down to 8.6:1 which is perfect for a turbo. It will hold 15psi all day and swap in like an LS6 cam and 600rwhp is a walk in the park...with all factory parts. You cant beat that in my book.

#5 ·
Go with the 4.8 vortec i have one in my 2000 single cab silverado i beliecve its the 294 V8 and that thing just surprises the hell outta me ......i bought it used, but i sware theres something done to it (checked found nothing) lol i even thought of putting it in a 65 chevelle or some type of shoreline cruiser its weird, my 4.8 is dead even with my buddies 6.0 liter 2000 silverado single cab anyway i guess i just want to see wat that 4.8 would do in a light car instead of a truck -BB

#7 ·
Im telling you ... i seriously cant believe my truck...i dont think its fast by any means, but for what it is itll hang right there exact same with his 6.0 liter I did run it at sacramento, and it pulled a 16.01 hahaha i still have the time slip in my glove box....i believe its stock

#9 ·
My 2000 Suburban 5.3 ran 10.20's in the 1/8, and I've driven around big blocks and deisels when towing my Nova. They are amazing little engines. I've talked to guys that went from 5.3 trucks to 6.0's(first couple years)and were very disappointed-no more power and way worse mileage. The newer 6.0's are supposed to be better.
I've gotten 19+mpg going to the river empty, and 14 towing the car.
With 142,000+ on the clock it still runs great-same belts, hoses,......I had to change a TPS once, but no maintenance other than that.
I'm looking for a cheap one myself--anybody got one?

#10 ·
My coworker has an 2002 Heavy Duty 1/2 Chevy with the 6.0. He claims it doesn't run as well as the 5.3 in my 04 GMC. He just sold a 98 Chevy with a 5.7. He claims it ran better than his 6.0. I just figure GM detuned the 6.0 so they wouldn't break parts under warrenty.

#12 ·
This is not a drop and go type of installation! Exhaust has to be custom built for the stock frontend, mounts differ the location by manufacturer. I have probably close to 2500 bucks in my conversion so far, and that includes the cost of the 5.3 w/trans and PCM. I paid 1400 for the engine and trans. I dont know for sure that the stock truck manifold will fit under a stock hood, it would be close. I swapped over to the LS6 intake, which requires a new water pump, pullies and mounts.

Things to consider:

Throttle pedal
Throttle cable (not needed if DBW)
Electronics
Driveshaft
Fuel pump
Tank modification
Radiator
Cooling fan
Mounts
Exhaust(stock manifolds dont fit factory clip)
PCM programming
cost of oil pan
Trans cross member
Engine mounts
Conversion from cable speedo to Electronic VSS
Fuel lines

There are a lot of things that will nickle and dime you to death when converting. If you shop around, parts can be had at a good price, but it is by no means cheap to make the conversion.

Is it worth the effort....I believe so

Jack

#13 ·
This is not a drop and go type of installation! Exhaust has to be custom built for the stock frontend, mounts differ the location by manufacturer. I have probably close to 2500 bucks in my conversion so far, and that includes the cost of the 5.3 w/trans and PCM. I paid 1400 for the engine and trans. I dont know for sure that the stock truck manifold will fit under a stock hood, it would be close. I swapped over to the LS6 intake, which requires a new water pump, pullies and mounts.

Things to consider:

Throttle pedal Used my stock one
Throttle cable (not needed if DBW) Used F-body one
Electronics What? use factory harness...nothing else.
Driveshaft
Fuel pump used the one I had A1000
Tank modification N/A
Radiator Same one I had, why change it?
Cooling fan Same one I had
Mounts
Exhaust(stock manifolds dont fit factory clip) That is all custom
PCM programming $400-$500 for software. I suggest learn it and do it yourself.
cost of oil pan I cut and welded truck pan
Trans cross member Stock...slide forward and re drill holes
Engine mounts home made
Conversion from cable speedo to Electronic VSS You mean convert VSS to speedo cable? VSS is not needed on an old car.
Fuel lines same as any other project you do

There are a lot of things that will nickle and dime you to death when converting. If you shop around, parts can be had at a good price, but it is by no means cheap to make the conversion.

Is it worth the effort....I believe so

Jack
I thought mine was rather cheap to build. Theres nothing really to it. Not any different than swapping any engine.

#15 ·
thanks for all the replies. i've been evaluating my budget and next summer i'll have cash to do it. which means i just get to do a lot of research for the next year and acquire parts so that it goes together smoothly. i do understand this isn't just a regular swap. what i like is that it's all GM stuff and should be a decent project. my major concerns now are the throttle linkage, cooling system and speedo hookup. i am looking forward to this swap. sounds like i'll spend about 3K$ on it?

#17 ·
how will i set up an electronic transmission like that with a mechanical speedo? i'd like some input on that. i'm pretty set on keeping my stock gauges because i like the way that they look. part of the idea here is to look pretty basic on the outside then when the hood opens up to scratch your head when looking at it.

and i already dismissed the radiator issue. i'll probably have to get some aluminum aftermarked expensive piece and go from there.

#18 ·
To be honest, I have no clue. I had already converted to Autometer Electronic Speedo before I had even contemplated this swap, so I am set. I bet a good gauge shop could convert your stock speedo to electric motor, but I doubt it would be cheap.

As far as a radiator, I used a summit universal, they seem to be popular on this board for first/second gens.

Jack

#20 · (Edited)
Take the tailshaft off an older tranny with a gear driven speedo. Put a reluctor ring on the output shaft.....cost- less than $30 likely. Tailshaft from junk yard or tranny shop-$20 relutctor ring - $10.....use original speedo and speedo cable.

#25 ·
i was just curious. i guess the cases would be the same, it just seems putting something 10+ years old into a new transmission might leak is all. how'd you hook up your throttle? did you do drive by wire? would you recommend drive by wire?

#26 ·
I took a throttle cable from an f-body (2000 Z28) and hooked it up to my gas pedal and directly to the throttle body.
10+ years old or not doesnt make it leak, if the o-ring is good your good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.