Chevy Nova Forum banner

My LSx conversion

82K views 311 replies 70 participants last post by  charley7 
#1 · (Edited)
I have been accused of sneaking around with this build so Here it is:DLast Christmas we rescued a 65 SS out of a back yard for g6t6o(Josh) and the owner had a complete 6.0 sitting in the garage with a 4l80 attached to it.No reciept,no verifiable mileage he thought it was @70k or so.Picked it up for $1200 and VooDooII(Joe) and I went over an loaded it up to take home.So I have been busy doing side work to fund the project and staying busy and getting my parts gathered up.So Josh tells me we can track the number on the back of the motor to find out what it came out of.As it turns out it has less than 20k on it:D and its an LQ4:(I sold off the 4l80 and found a low mileage 28k 4l65e and have been busy cleaning and preping it for the swap

So I pull the pan to install the F-body pan and find this:D

Added a Texas Speed 228r cam,springs,and hardened push rods along with a
rocker trunion upgrade

Then Todd(DUB) here on the site set me up with his FAST LSXRT intake off of his gold 67

Its pretty much ready to go in

I would really like to find a buyer for my current engine before starting the swap, I feel its easier to sell if they can hear it run,and go for a road test.So far no luck advertising it locally:(We will see how it goes from here

See less See more
#4 ·
Yes I will be adding power steering.The intake fills the void left in an old car engine compartment when an LSx is swapped.I do not see a blower of any kind ever in my future,so this was my solution,its supposed to work very well.Call it what you like driving Chuck's and Joe's LS powered wagons has really screwed me up:DAll I can think of is 400ish HP and close to 20mpg out on the hiway:D

#6 ·
How difficult was the trunnion upgrade?

I used to have a set of rockers on one of my previous camaros that had that done...much better piece of mind. Been thinking of picking up one of the bearing kits for when the cam swap happens on the wagon.

#13 ·
While you had the pan off, you should have put in some ARP rod bolts, weakest part of the LS is stock rod bolts.

#22 ·
I had a feeling .....:turn::turn:

But then again my back was hurting so I dismissed it!

Congratulations Brian on the outstanding find and the deal on the LQ4. I'm sure you will chronicle the install and I can't wait to see/hear it it person!

Are you guys starting an LS Club now?????

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

#18 ·
Looking good Brian :thumbsup:

Lovin that intake.

My customer picked up a L33 high output 5.3 for his project. It has about 85K and looks really clean. It will get an intake and cam swap. I'll post a thread when I get to that point. It's going in a 66. He wanted a 6 speed but it's not in his budget. It will get probably get a 4L60E.

#20 ·
That's it!! I'm telling people to quit bringing their cars to the shop.:mad: I'm not working on them anymore so I can work on my own car!!:yes::no::no::(

Well, actually I guess I need to keep working on their's so I can fund mine. Mine will be a Winter 2012/2013 project. At least that way you'll be done with yours and I can pick your brain for info.

Good luck, and keep us posted!! I will be calling you.:yes::yes:

#24 ·
im going to be going the same thing this winter also in my 66. i just picked up my motor its a 2001 5.7 out of a corvette that had 57k on it and was pulled because it had a tick on start up. its just a long block and i also have a 4l60e. just need an intake and all the wiring and accessories. keep up the updates so i know what to do! haha looks awesome

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.