Chevy Nova Forum banner

Performence filter or regular?

1K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Jlvalentino 
#1 ·
Which is better a performance filter or a regular paper filter? And if the performence is better, is it better to get the whole kit or just the filter?

#2 ·
Paper :yes:

The ones like the K&N are a P.I.T.A. :yes:

Washing and messy oiling isn't for me. :no:

I've got better things to do....... :moped: :ragtop: :prost: :beer1: :beer1: :popcorn: :BDay: :notworthy: :sleep:

#4 ·
For any car with an MAF, I stick with paper. The filter oil can leave a film on the MAF wires over time, as it's very easy to accidently over-oil when you clean the filter. The MAF can be cleaned periodically to correct this, but I prefer to just avoid the issue and use paper.

For a carbed application, this problem does not exist. Paper will filter better, as shown by lower silicon (dirt) content in UOAs (used oil analysis), but the difference isn't critical. There is no huge power gain by using a K&N-type either though. Having said that, I do have the K&N on my '71 for now, but not on my EFI cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.