Chevy Nova Forum banner

To weld or not to weld my oil pump pickup?

5K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  fastbruce 
#1 ·
I have a 4 bolt 350 SBC block with the front sump setup for my '67 Nova. I have the stand off to support the long pickup tube with the modified bracket as shown below.

My question is this. Do I still have to weld the pickup to the pump to be able to sleep at night? I've read on other forums that it's difficult to weld steel to cast iron, I'll warp the housing, etc, etc... What do you guys think? Thanks for your replies!:cool:

See less See more
#6 ·
I am currently in the same dilemma. I want to button up my motor and the only thing stopping me is not having a welder. I have my feelers out for a few local friends to weld it. According to my machinist, he says I should weld it with a quick zap and if I do it opposite side of the spring, should be ok. Anyone second his motion? Is a quick 2 second tack gonna hurt the spring?

I have a feeling the responses will be "better safe than sorry".....what is the procedure for removing the spring and torque specs for reinstalling? Currently, my pickup tube is exactly where it needs to be and is super tight. thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.