Chevy Nova Forum banner

Bench Seats and shoulder belts

9K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  ovrdrive 
#1 ·
I recently bought a 1970 Nova that has some unknown buckets in it from who knows what car. I am also one of the weirdos that wants to put a bench back in the car; something kinda sinister about a bench and a 4-speed.

Is anyone using a bench seat with shoulder seat belts? If so, how is it set up? I'm thinking about a 6-point cage, would it be easier to just set them up on the cage? Thanks, this is a great site!!!

#2 ·
hey Tex, thought I would chime in to say that I, like you, prefer a bench. Guess I'm a weirdo too. I'm not gonna get rid of my buckets just yet, figured I'd try the bench for a while. Actually I picked up a nice one yesterday. Hope my original lap and shoulder belts work with it. good luck with yours!

#3 ·
Thanks Jay, bench seat weirdos of the world unite!!!:D I"m also one of those who likes to have Momma sittin' next to me when we're riding...

I know I don't have the correct seats in my Nova and the only belts I have are the lap belts. I've been trying to research how a 3-point aftermarket shoulder belt set up would work with a bench, because I'm not sure where they would mount to for the shoulder part. I may end up just mounting them to the roll bar once I get it welded in.

I'm still looking for a front bench in Texas. Its too dam@ expensive to ship 'em, so I'm looking around the hill country with no luck so far.

#5 ·
My 74 4-door had a front bench and retractable sholder belts. It just had a place to mount up top. Im not sure about other years. Im THINKIN earlier models didnt have them stock, in which case youd probably hafta do a lil "engineering" to mount the top part.

#7 ·
I am the same way in my 66. I wanted to convert to buckets but, I was missing the center piece to make it work. I found a front bench seat for a decent price and installed it. I am thinking about going this route for my belts:

http://www.julianos.com/3_point_belt_bench.html

And for the price, it is not too bad. Just an idea...

Dan

#12 ·
Here are a couple of pics that you guys are requesting. The total install time was arround an hr. and used the standard garage tools.

As for the top anchor point, I used the spot where the the original shoulder harness had a metal clip that held it out of the way. And that is a perfect anchor point. Hope this helps

Dan

Dan

#13 ·
Hi, I have a set I got from Summit made for the Nova. Morris Classic Concepts 3-point retractable seat belts summit # MRS-MCSB-5-Bk. They were $289.95 They look nice. I'll be putting them in with a bench seat soon.

Good Luck, Fran

#14 ·
im a weirdo too, i had unknown buckets in my 74' that looked factory. i got a bench off e-bay for $450 like new out of a 70' and then sold my buckets to a guy to replace his bench in his 74' for $200 so it ended up costing $250 and i also have a factory 4 speed look'in auto shifter. something about a nova and a bench, the two go together like PBJ!:cool:

#16 ·
I am glad to swap out the buckets for my bench seat. Did it this winter and have ZERO regrets. I don't like just a lap belt either. Another member on here had a 72 nova four door that had retractable combonation seatbelts. The shoulder belt clips into the lap belt, and the lap belt click into the other half of the lap belt. That way you don't need to female ended seatbelts to use the shoulder belt and lap belt. I will see if I can find them and take a pic before I install them. :)

#20 ·
use a fourth gen belt setup. both my 75 and 77 have bench shoulder belts.

they are one piece and it mounts on the ceiling and floor. and to keep it from being to high on you there's a plastic loop that mounts on the headrest that the belt runs through. and they are quite comfortable and the retractors are locking type

what do the bucket seats have for belts cause i changed my 77 over to buckets and the belt rubs on my neck cause its designed for bench with the hold down loop. do the buckets on the 4th gen have just lap belts. and would it be legal to go to just a lap and get rid of the shopulder.??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.