Chevy Nova Forum banner

harmonic balancer bolt 327

3K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  The Big Al 
#1 ·
I've got a 1962 model 327 and I noticed that the harmonic balancer will just slip right off of the crank. I know this is a problem. What is the best way to fix this? I've been told that it needs a bolt to hold it on, but how do you do this on a built engine. Its on an engine stand right now. Can a person drill and tap the crank? Thanks for any help.

#2 ·
i'd be first concerned if it's the dampner or if the crank snout is off... dampner too big, snout too small.

i've seen where some guys have the dampner honed for a slip fit but i'd really doubt that's the case in your situation...

check the size/thread pitch of a C/S bolt and YES the snout can be drilled and tapped... make sure it's very straight though. the job IS much easier to do with crank out of engine but it can still be done... don't get any debris in through the timing cover seal area... that'd be a bad situation for sure ;)

#3 ·
thanks for the info

Me and my father rebuilt this engine probably 10-15 years ago. It was the orig. balancer that came off of the motor. I know it definately didn't slide back on when we put it on then. It is still fairly tight now but will just slide off without alot of effort. Probably lucky it didn't come off when it was in the car. Thanks

#5 ·
I already played that game once. If the motor is still out of the car, pull the crank and take it to the machine shop. Let them do it up or get another crank. Shortcuts are usually an inexpensive way to spend a lot of money at the worst possible time, causing the most amount of inconvenience possible. Bolting the balancer and the extra effort gave me a warm fuzzy after we launched one. An expensive lesson and very inconvenient. Would have been way cheaper to go with my gut instinct. Usually, if I ask myself the question, I need to do it. Can't be much help other than some experience brother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.