Chevy Nova Forum banner

1966 Chevrolet Nova SS L-79

4K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  Ed66s 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I don't believe I've ever seen a Chevy II L79 with a 'T' (Tonawanda) designator in the engine suffix code. All the 1966 L79s I'm familiar with were 'F' (Flint) engines. I'm wondering if the punch wasn't even and the 'F' looks like a 'T.'

This is a nice car in the rarest of 1966 colors, but the ad doesn't mention any paperwork or other proof that it's a real L79. It also has some details that are incorrect....wrong oil filler, wrong fuel line, dual braking system, body color firewall, etc. Anybody notice it's missing the hood emblem? I also find it interesting that the word 'correct' is used in describing the drivetrain. Most sellers of L79s with 'as born' drivetrains are quick to use the word 'original' whenever and wherever possible. Correct could mean 'date' correct and not necessarily original. But hey, whats an L79 without dozens of questions:).

Bob

#10 ·
Battery hold-down is missing, fire-wall is body color while trim-tag is black, no metal fuel line to carb, replacement alternator, '65 Chevelle SS hubcaps (that one always bugs me - when someone who doesn't know what they're looking for buys hubcaps for a 'restoration'). It has an after-market rally wheel for a spare... it would be interesting to know what wheels are being used 'on the ground' - AFAIK, the original wheels won't work with most disc brake conversions.

Anyone else notice the strange angle on the clutch pedal??

The hood is probably either a replacement or was taken from a '67. At least they got the lower body trim correct.

I'd really like to see clear close-ups of the engine pad stamp and the VIN tag on the door post...

#20 ·
So, according to the Ebay listing, the previous owner was asking around $75,000, which is unbelievable for an undocumented L79 that has numerous deficiencies. This seller says his reserve is a lot less, but I'm sure it's north of $50,000. IMO, the $45,000 that he turned down at Mecum was more than fair for this car. He won't get within a sniff of that in this current Ebay auction.

Bob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.