Chevy Nova Forum banner

Street lites and stock box on 66 Nova

4K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  purple66bu 
#1 ·
Ok the brake setup has been switched to wilwoods negative offset rotors and at ride height the tire hits the upper fender lip when wheels are turned. Could you guys with street lites post pics so we have an idea
Dennis

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
What is size and back spacing on those wheels?
If this is a stock clip car with drum brakes( zero offset) you need 4" backspace with discs such as wilwoods (which are not zero offset) you need 4.5 to 4.75".
I bought torque thrust 17x7 with 4.75bs being built for the front of my 66.

#5 ·
Usually when people say 4 1/2" BS they mean for a 7" wheel. With a 4" wheel you need to subtract half the difference from the offset so to keep the tire centered in the wheel well with a 4" wide rim you need a 3" backspace.

All that being said tire size and ride height need to be taken into account as well, and every car is a little different. I have 16x7 wheels on 4 1/2" BS with Willwood Dynalites and 205 50 tires. There's probably enough room to go up a tire size without any rubbing issues on my car.

#6 ·
Usually when people say 4 1/2" BS they mean for a 7" wheel. With a 4" wheel you need to subtract half the difference from the offset so to keep the tire centered in the wheel well with a 4" wide rim you need a 3" backspace.
good point!
I was basing back spacing on 7" rim.
It sounds like he needs more back spacing though.

#11 · (Edited)
My car was like Nova404 with a 2.25 back space on a 4" rim. The biggest thing I see is those tires look like they are 26" is that the case? couple other questions....do you have the engine installed? Also has there been an alignment done?

Elevated ride height, too tall of a tire and positive camber will contribute to the issue at hand.

#15 ·
I just spoke to Tom. Evidently the spindles in question are from a camaro.

The camaro spindle requires a different size of lower ball joint. Tom is using the CBR lower arms which use the factory 62-67 ball joint. What this means is that the lower ball joint taper in the spindle is larger than the ball joint in use and will certainly be a safety issue. A stock 64-67 spindle needs to be used, which Tom did order from me after we spoke.

The other issue is that while trying to use a spindle from a 68 or newer Nova and or a camaro/chevelle spindle is that the king pin angle is different creating an excess of positive camber. When this happens it is required to move the lower arm out with the eccentrics to acquire the proper camber setting. What effectively happens is you are actually widening the track width.

On top of that he also has a 26x6 tire on the front, in the perfect spindle world that size of tire on the front causes a lot of grief.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.