Chevy Nova Forum banner

'Blueprint Engines' crate motor

15K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Polo78nova 
#1 ·
i am looking into buying a crate motor for my nova... has anyone purchased a blueprint engine? i am looking at a 383 with vortec heads 405 hp and 440 tq. 30 month 50,000 mile warranty for $4,000 it comes fully dressed..

just wondering if anyone has had any experience with the company. thanks

#7 ·
this should be the link http://www.blueprintengines.com/popular_configurations/index.html?topic=specs&pc_id=69

if not it is a blueprint engine a company ownedby marshall engines. this motor comes all dressed with carb intake, dist, fuelpump, all you have to do is bolt on a flywheel.
I delt with this company a while back with a replacement engine for my Daytona Shelby. It was a nightmare getting them to replace a motor that let lose due to incorrect rod torque specs. They blamed it on incorrect installation and we had to take them to court. We got alot more than the engine was worth, but just the fact that we had to go through about 1 year of trouble with the company was enough to make me spread the word. Look on ripoff reports website and just google the company for complaints. That will help in your decision.

#8 · (Edited)
I bought a 383 (405/440) in January. At 2500 miles heard a weird tick. Turns out the cam was going flat. Had the motor sent back (they paid the freight...you have to make or find or buy your own crate) they "analyzed" it and said the motor indeed had a flat cam lobe and they would replace it. Process took about 2 weeks. The entire process leading to that point was a bit of a headache. Phone calls not returned, incorrect information from different employee's. They ended up sending me a new motor. What about a refund for the cost of installation, break-in, and removal?. Their warranty says they'll cover 15.1 hours at $45. I don't know where you live but a quality shop around here is about $100/hr. The check they sent ($679) didn't even cover install and set-up. Oh yea, if you don't get it installed at a quality shop (i.e. you can't put it in yourself) the warranty is voided. So overall I'm pissed. We'll see what happens with the new motor, it gets put in monday.

I thought the motor would pull harder with those numbers. Maybe cause it was f-ed up it didn't I don't know. Check out this link.
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/383-stoker-crate-blueprint-engines-160095.html

#12 ·
The warranty is handled threw a Insurance company.

Ask your self.

Engine goes bad,

Who pays to ship it back?
Who pays for freight to receive it?
Who pays for time and labor to R&R it?
Who pays for essentials? (oil, filter, antifreeze)

The answer is you!

Also the HP claims, NOT SAE certified.
The engine is made up of used castings.
Marchall engines has a big history of welding cracks.

GM performance crate engines
Price around, just like buying a car.
You can even get one threw Summit racing!

This engine is 100% virgin new!
And everything comes with a 3 year 50k warranty that can be administered by your local mechanic and and GM dealer in the county.
Even the add ons are warrantied.
http://www.crateenginedepot.com/sto...30HP-Deluxe-HO-Turn-Key-19201328-P1427C2.aspx

And it's no secret that a cam change puts this engine at 400hp easy.

You have been warned!

Al

#13 ·
I second what AL and others are stating. I`m about to install a GM crate that was in a very good friends Malibu for maybe 1000 mi. All I`m doing is changing heads,[installing Vortechs], and adding a Lunati Cam. I was about to buy a new crate when this deal fell into my lap so to speak.

#14 ·
GMPP crate engines win. Mine runs like a top and has good power. The basic "universal" 350/260 hp engine I got for $1400, I believe it was $1,550 out the door with taxes. I picked it up at my local Chevy dealer. Best investment I've made in the car yet.

Kev

#15 ·
yeah i have to say go with a gm crate engine....i bought there 350H.O. 330hp engine back in 2003 for my El Camino.the car was stolen in 2007 but between 4 years i put 30,000 miles on it.Daily drove the car for a year and a half...never had the first problem ever!Took it to the strip on the weekends,damn strong running engine too!It ran a best of a 8.98 on drag radials and 9.18 on street tires in the 1/8th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.