Chevy Nova Forum banner

Cowl hood or no cowl?

10K views 38 replies 28 participants last post by  chevynuts88 
#1 ·
I've got a 73 Nova and have been debating the thought of getting a 4" cowl hood. It currently has the stock hood on it and 15x7 Rallye wheels. Do you think a 4" cowl would go well with what I'm working with? Here is a pic so you know what I'm working with.

See less See more
#11 ·
hi there, just curious, howcome your rear wheel in this picture is not centered in the wheel housing? its more towards the back bumper instead, howcome? i see a lot of nova's here and there that do that, even my mothers nova is like that and its totally stock. can it be adjusted? or centered?

#8 ·
Actually, I think your car looks great as is. If anything, a two inch would look nice. I have two 4 inch hoods, 1 is pin on, one is bolt on. This is my car with the 4" pin on.

Where in Michigan are you? We're in Portland.

#9 ·
I'm in St. Joseph, which is in the southwest corner of the L.P right on the lake. It's nice in the summer but in the winter we get the brunt of everything because of that lake effect snow.

Thanks for the input everyone I think I'm going to stick with the stock hood since I am trying to keep it original on the exterior.

#13 ·
Greetings,

I've got the 6 inch on mine and yes it's needed, but if I end up doing an engine swap (kicking around doing an LS3/T56 combo) I'll go with a flat hood. I'd keep the flat hood.

Jason

#21 ·
I was in the same predicament with my build, weather to go with a 4” or 2” cowl. I had first planed on doing a Pro-Street which I would have defiantly got a 4”. I have sense changed and decided to go with a Pro-Touring look, and will be going with the 2” instead.

#25 ·
I think on a 'stock' appearing car a flat hood looks best. If I could easily fit my engine and junk under a stock hood I'd do it. I think in the case of my '69 Nova it adds to the 'sleeper' look. Cowl hoods always look better on lowered cars. My wagon stays stock.

There's always the option of no hood:yes:

#34 ·
I like the cowl hood but I'm not fond of the low-profile tires.......:no:
I know this is the other car with those tires - but I didn't know if you were thinking of going that way with yours. I just don't like the rims with 2" or less tire between them and pavement on anything - much less a Nova...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.